custom ttb spring q and a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
So I decided that just for this summer I will stick with my ttb. I'm tryin to go cheapish.my questin is about shocks. Ill be doing the six inch ttb lift and for more flex I will weld steel tubing in the center of my coil towers that will go down the center of my coil and not put on the stock bronco spring retainer. Esentially it will be set up like a jeep. I'm worried about bottoming out or over extending my six inch lift shocks. Thought bout puttin on 8 inch lift shocks but again worried bout bottoming them out when suspension is fully compressed. Idk. Any input?? Thanks guys

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
YO!

I haven't seen this tried yet. I'd be concerned about that tubing affecting the suspension "angle" thus causing susp. bind/coil wrap..etc.

That's all I can comment on aside from the welds' quality; that's your craftsmanship, so you know your work better than I can ever guess!

GL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I'm not clear at all on what you're trying to do? You can use limiting straps and bump stops to control suspension travel and not ruin your shocks. JSM84

shift1313

Reaction score
So I decided that just for this summer I will stick with my ttb. I'm tryin to go cheapish.my questin is about shocks. Ill be doing the six inch ttb lift and for more flex I will weld steel tubing in the center of my coil towers that will go down the center of my coil and not put on the stock bronco spring retainer. Esentially it will be set up like a jeep. I'm worried about bottoming out or over extending my six inch lift shocks. Thought bout puttin on 8 inch lift shocks but again worried bout bottoming them out when suspension is fully compressed. Idk. Any input?? Thanks guys

6" ttb lift with stock housings? Im not clear either on what you are trying to do with the tube through the spring. Are you talking about the bump stop on a TJ?

129_0805_12_z+1997_jeep_tj_suspension+front_coil_springs.jpg

here is a skyjacker 6" lift with 35s and a limit strap

0809or_05_z+ttb_equipped_1993_ford_bronco_mud_country_tires+skyjacker_coil_springs.jpg

shift1313

Reaction score
by the way the two suspension systems are totally different setups. Your TTB setup vs a solid axle trailing link setup. the articulation of the suspension members on the solid axle would be more severe than yours since it pivots on one point rather than floating on 4 points.

OP
OP
F

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
Ya I was thinkin on doin it just like the tj. I figured by doin that without the retainer clips I should get more travel. But my idea could be flawed.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, you need the top retaining clips on the TTB springs since that's basicly all that holds them in. I've seen the springs pop out when the clip breaks, like getting air over a jump, which the stock TTB is not designed for.