Handling issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremy92555

Reaction score
I have what I believe to be a 3.5" lift with 33" tires. The lift was done by the previous owner so I do not have a lot of info on it. I put a newly rebuilt gear box in it since I have owned it and probably only has 100 miles on that gear box. The bronco is still a bear to drive above 40MPH. It has gotten better after tightening some bolts, steering stabilizer and gear box but it still floats all over the place at higher speeds. It holds a pretty straight line on a straight away, but going around turns it feels like it floats and it feels like it rolls a little to. This is my first bronco so I have nothing to compare it to. But, have been told by others that they can do 70+ down the freeway comfortably. That would scare the crap out of me. I have jacked up the front end and everything feels real tight, the front bearings have a little play but not much. These arent the best pictures but does anybody see any red flags in them? Any suggestions on what I should do first? I would hate to have to make a accident avoidance manouver in this thing the way it is. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

11618242453.jpgbronco 3.JPGbronco 4.JPGphoto.JPG

bronco 1.jpg

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Jeremy.,

Nice look'n rig., & the steering conversions look good.., except for that P/S gear box mounting.

Never seen one cocked to one side like that but doesn't mean that's the problem.

Looks like more than a 3.5" lift but hard to tell in a pic. :unsure:

The only thing I could think of is the wrong "C"-bushings, or incorrectly installed.

(pics don't reveal the pumpkin angle at the driveshaft.)

And.., the toe-in could be incorrect., or even toed-out. :blink:

By "floats" I think you mean wanders..?

By "rolls" I think you mean leans..?

You didn't move the "pre-set *****" on the P/S box did you...? [-o<

OP
OP
J

jeremy92555

Reaction score
I always wondered about the way the gear box sits as well. It is sits in the same location as when I got it and is the frame mount is flush at frame and gear box so there is no room with that mount to straighten it. How do I find out what C-Bushings are in it? By floating I guess I would mean wanders from left to right. It also has a locker in it and I was told that will make it move around i guess. But regardless it is hard to hold a line in a turn. And by rolls I do mean lean, it feels like it leans in the turns more than neccesary. I may need to just tow this thing to West Coast Broncos one day and let them look at it. It gets frustrating. I still drive it but it would be nice to get it more stable.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
The locker 'will' want to keep you going straight. The inside wheel, in a turn, wants to slow down but it can't.

"How do I find out what C-Bushings are in it?"

By talking to the prev. owner...&/or the supplier it was purch. from. Thet should be 7deg.

And in rare occasions., they get put in upside-down.

Take a pic. side-view of the pumpkin, where it hooks to the u-joints., so we can see the angle.

---Don't get discouraged...it's all fixable... :D/

1st. check the toe-in on the front wheels.

About a foot off the ground, (front of tire) measure the front outside edge of the tire, to the same outside edge on the other side.

Then do the same on the rear of tire.

Should be about 1/8 in. difference.i.e. if the rear of the tire is 71 1/4" --- the front should be 71" to 71 1/8" (these#'s are approximant)

If it comes to towing... put it up on a trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo