steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayne 79

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some pointers on replacing the steering box. I have a 1989 bronco 302 and the steering box leaks and it also wanders go down the road expecially if I hit a bump or go around corners. An advice would greatly be appreciated.

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
its easy to replace just three bolts on the frame take steerin linkage loose/off then pulls right out sounds easy doesnt it well steering linkage will fight every step of the way.

OP
OP
W

wayne 79

Reaction score
Ok I was looking at it tonight and it looks like 3 bolts throught the frame 2 pressure lines, the pitman arm, and the steering shaft to the box. What specific tools do I need and what about bleeding the lines after its installed.What do u think 3-4 hour job.

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
no special tools really just a wrench maybe a flat head ***** driver to pry the linkage out, the lines are self bleeding lines so just poor the fluid in the power steering pump till it fills turn the wheel with the truck off from lock to lock then do it again then start the truck and do it till it fills to the line on the dip stick.do not over fill those pumps they will blow out the top then u have a huge mess on ur hands.and yes about 3-4 hours if everything goes right thats takin ur time aswell.

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
oh and also that wondering situation when u hit a bump might not be the gear box.so look into tie rods pitman arm bushings sway bar just wouldnt want anything to fall apart while driving down the road.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
You will need a Pitman arm puller to get it off of the steering box. You can buy one for $15, or rent it for free at most auto parts stores. JSM84

OP
OP
W

wayne 79

Reaction score
Im gonna tackle this next weekend . The pitman arm concerns me a little but the rest doesnt sound to hard. Im also gonna replace the tires i have 33x12.5 mounted on a 15x7 rim , i think a little of the bad maneuverbility is from the tires being mounted on a 7 inch rim. Thanks for all the replies.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?counter=1&categoryDisplayName=Tools&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=555623_0_0_&productId=555623&sortType=&parentId=6-10&filterByKeyWord=pitman+arm+puller&categoryNValue=100006&navValue=101264&fromWhere=&itemId=1264-10&displayName=Pitman+arm+puller+box&store=1474&skuDisplayName=Pitman+arm+puller+box&brandName=OEM

This is the tool you need to remove that Pitman arm. The claws go around and under the base of the arm where it attaches to the steering box, and the center bolt pushes against the sector shaft of the box. While it's a simple setup, there are a few quirks. The ends of the claws may be too thick to fit between the arm and box, and may need to be ground down to fit. Don't do this if you rent the tool, or grind off too much that it weakens the claws. 7 times out of ten, the Pitman arm will be quite stubborn. This tool alone will not be enough to remove the arm. You may also need to use heat on the base of the arm and/ or a very strong impact gun on the puller. If you are unsuccessful just using the tool and a normal wrenhc, save yourself the headaches and take it to a shop. They can usually remove it in a matter of seconds. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

shift1313

Reaction score
a seal kit is like $15 to fix the leak. Either way you will need to pull the pitman arm. Also if there is slack in the steering box there is an adjustment on top that will preload the gears.

Wandering could be a problem with your alignment. If you have some toe-out in the front end, the truck will want to wander. You want 0-1/8" of toe in and the truck will track better.

I would figure out if the steering box is the problem before you swap it out. If you do its fairly straight forward once the pitman arm is off(which is usually a big paint).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22