Should u be able to move the transfercase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolio2281

Reaction score
so i got under the 93 bronco today, with the 5.8 e4od, etc....i grabbed the rear shaft and try to see if there were any play in the u-joints, considering i just drove it over 1200 miles from northern ohio to very southern florida, while i was checking, i notices my t-case was moving alot, i mean iam a pretty strong guy and i wasnt pulling/yanking on it that hard and it was still moving up to 3-4 cm in every direction...this is normal? also, i know you guys have been over it a million times on how to pull codes at home without a scanner but i caint find the thread...i start college here in about 3 weeks, and its a 30min drive to and from everyday, and its a tech school so its 5 days a week i cannot afford/nor do i want to miss any class due to me procrastinating on a problem when i can fix it now...thanks guys

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Just search for "code reader" and you'll find the info on pulling codes. As for the t-case, it should not move around. You may have a bad tranny mount, which is located under the adapter to the t-case. You can also check the bolts holding the t-case to that adapter to be sure they are tight and not missing. JSM84

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
yeah the whole drive line should be stationary so if u can move anything its not good so just check all ur bolts some should be loose no big deal.good luck

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
thanks guys...this is a little off topic, but every pic i have of my truck i try to put on here and it keeps saying its too large...so i caint rlly upload any..any idea's iam not pc friendly at all

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
yeah maybe the camara to high tech or somethiin lol not sure i probably know less about this stuff than u but what i do know is i have a little 20 dollar camara and it works.

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
ha yeah i took my dads camera and took pics and everytime i try to download it either says too large or it never loads...what ever ha just got done cleanin her all up wanna show er off haha

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Use your pictur program to re-size the pics, orcheck for one in the image gallery. I normally resize mine to 640x480 before I upload them .

shift1313

Reaction score
so did you get anywhere with the Tcase? Ive seen the fluid damped motor mounts split completely in half. If for some reason your motor mounts are shot and your tranny mount is shot I could see all this stuff moving.

Does the Tcase move and the tranny and adapter stay still?

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
u can see when u grip the drive shaft the mount moving around..i mean i got under there again and really used some force and it still moved, but only think i keep thinking about it, iam just a guy, think about all the torque i got running through there i got the 5.8 so its gotta be moving quit a bit from the torque, iam not having any leaks, i had my t-case and transmission rebuilt, only leak i have it from the rear main seal, very little there, and back of the drivers side valve cover

Justshootme84

Reaction score
The motor, tranny and t-case should be held in place by those motor mounts and tranny mount. If you have very much slack like described from a worn or broken mount, it could lead to only bad consequences. you prolly have the single tranny mount, which is fairly inexpensive and noit too hard to change out yourself.

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
inexpensive and easy....now those are the 2 words i have never heard that go along with the word bronco..haha jsm84 thats fantastic news..yeah i need to change then out soon...any suggestions on mountsi know ive seen cheap one and some upwards of around 150 bucks...do u get more for your bang in these situations?

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Here's a link from AutoZone for two different ones:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?displayName=Transmission+Mount&currentPage=1&categoryDisplayName=Drivetrain&navValue=11200166&itemId=166-0&parentId=12-0

$20 or $42, I think the difference in price is the warranty. Just be sure that whatever parts store you go to gets you one for the E40D auto tranny in your Bronco, and check that it's the Correct height. IF you go to the Ford dealer ,they may list one for $100 or $150, but doubt they still stock them.

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
when u have the truck in neutral and u twist the drive shaft should u be able to spin it? i can spin mine about 1/3 of a rotation before it locks up

shift1313

Reaction score
you will get some rotation. The amount will depend on how "tight" your rear diff is. If there is excessive lash between the ring/pinion you will get more.

OP
OP
C

coolio2281

Reaction score
well heres the problem s1313...the transmission/t-case have been rebuilt on my rig but the rear axle/diffs got over 190.000 miles on em...i really canot put out the cash for a rebuild from a shot, ive been reading alot on the ford 8.8 diff...pretty much setting preload and backlash is the only concern i have...correct me if iam wrong, backlash can be tweaked regardless if to tight or too loose after you have installed the components...but the preload can only be set once? and if set too high i need a new crush sleeve and re-tightning the preload...preload is on the pinion gear and the backlash on the diff correct?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom