E40D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wop

Reaction score
I have a 95 full size with 302 and E40D auto trans, it has 144,000 miles on it was driving it and it started to what seemed like not down shift i would come to a stop and it would bog the motor way down when i took off. Well it finally went not sure something in the trans i guess. I couldnt get it to back up acts like in reverse it wants to go foward so i put it in neatural and went to move it with my pickup and its like its in park i dragged it. So i removed both front and rear drive shafts. i can start it put in in foward it spins if i put it in reverse it bogs the motor way down with no drive shafts? must be in trans i asume soon as weather gets a little warmer out comes the trans. Any one ever had anything like this happen to them??? Thanks i appercate it, WOP

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo; I just lost 10 mins of typing since I hit the back arrow key above the ENTER button on da keybd.. was trying to delete an extra period and

Is Fluid level ok and does the fluid aroma smell ok? no brownish/white color? no toast smell?

Is the OD LED/Switch at end of shifter blinking?

Check for trouble codes yet?

a Self Test by our pal, BroncoJoe19 do the KOEO = Key On Engine Off portion first & Remember to have engine @ Normal Operating Temperature before doing the KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING (KOER) portion

post any codes found here.

long shot guess

Vehicle Does Not Move Diagnosis & Service Tips TSB 94-21-14 for 90-95 Bronco, Vans & F Series; "... may be caused by the check ball, located in the rear cooler line converter drainback check valve assembly, sticking...." Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com

I'll ENTER this reply now and add to it so I don't lose it

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
W

wop

Reaction score
Fluid is full smells ok codes are KOEO 536,636 KOER 225,632 got to take it apart to check filter we just had 3 inches of snow so waiting for it to melt. thanks for your help.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Wait on that filter check for now

536 - Brake On/Off circuit failure / switch not actuated during KOER test or shorted to ground (ignore for now)636 - TOT - Transmission Oil Temperature sensor voltage out of self test range.

DTC 636 Transmission Fluid Temp (TFT) higher or lower than expected; Can be caused by a bad connector or harness (an open circuit, or short to Ground / Batt), or the transmission was overheated.

225 - Knock Sensor (KS) signal not sensed during dynamic response test (ignore if not pinging) (ignore for now)

DTC 632 - OD cancel switch not changing state. "...During the KOER test, AFTER the initial recognition code is generated, the brake pedal must be applied, the OD switch must be turned off and then back on and finally the "goose" test must be performed. This code is generated when the person performing the KOER test fails to deactivate and reactivate the OD cancel switch at the end of the shift lever. It does NOT indicate a problem unless the switch WAS INDEED deactivated and reactivated and the code still came up. (Computer needs to know if the tranny is in OD or not)..."

Source: by greystreak92

Check the TPS;

See my site and go to Electrical then Sensors..look for the testing Links..

OP
OP
W

wop

Reaction score
Thanks for the info ill check the tps first. I appercate the help.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
ok, btw I added the following in the other Forum;

DTC 636 Transmission Fluid Temp (TFT) higher or lower than expected; \"...Can be caused by a bad connector or harness (an open circuit, or short to Ground / Batt), or the transmission was overheated. Once you remove the pan locate the sensor in the valve body and remove the electrical connector very carefully. The sensor is about the size of a pen cap. To remove the sensor carefully unlock the stop tab and twist it, pull down to remove it. It comes out before a full quarter turn is made. Put it back in the reverse order. When you get the sensor to come out be prepared to catch the trans fluid that follows behind it, you will get less than a quart out of it. It is located in da Pack between Converter Clutch Control (CCC) Solenoid & the Coast Clutch Solenoid. try the connections first. They are usually the root of the problem

Transmission Oil Temperature sensor TOT Sensor; this is from a pal at Ford;

"...Once you remove the pan locate the sensor in the valve body and remove the electrical connector very carefully. The sensor is about the size of a pen cap. To remove the sensor carefully unlock the stop tab and twist it, pull down to remove it. It comes out before a full quarter turn is made. Put it back in the reverse order. When you get the sensor to come out be prepared to catch the trans fluid that follows behind it, you will get less than a quart out of it..."

Solenoid Pack Connector Pin-Out Diagram Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com See Pins 7 & 8

It is located in da Pack between Converter Clutch Control (CCC) Solenoid & the Coast Clutch Solenoid

Transmission Oil Temperature sensor TOT Sensor Location Diagram; see page 3, Step 3& Solenoid Locations in Valve Body; see page 4

Source: by artcarr.com

Transmission Oil Temperature sensor TOT Sensor Info in Solenoid Wiring Diagrams in a 96 Bronco & F 150by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net Bottom right of da diagram....

"...The PCM monitors the voltage drop across a temperature sensitive thermistor. The PCM uses this information to determine transmission fluid temperature for adjustment of shift schedules & torque converter engagement schedules when the fluid is cold. Also used to adjust EPC pressure shift & torque converter schedules for temperature..."

Since you wrote in the other Forum, "Fluid smells a little burnt to..." suspect that is the DTC 636 reason

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
miesk5,

you are unbelieveable. I didn't read through all of your posts, becuase it is not my problem. When I have time, and IF I remember, I'll revisit, but in the mean time... you're the best!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke