79 bronco axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foul Al

Reaction score
hey folks. i was wanting to put some D-60's under my 79 bronco. i just recently had the 460 swap on it with a brand new c-6 trans with shift kit. i have stock drive shafts and stock axles. 350 posi in the rear i dunno up front. my question is: what would be a good axle ratio with the power i have? i don't go off roading much so it's gonna be on the street mostly. i'm not all that concearned with racing people or stuff like that, i just want a really strong common sense set-up. i keep hearing about 411' and such but i don't know how to interperet what that means. anyone that has done this swap and had a similar swap in mind please spin me your story and help me decide. thanks for reading, Foul Al.

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
hey al, when it comes to gearing the biggest factor that you have to account for is what tire size you are wanting run

the larger the tires the deeper the gears you are going to need if you want to keep the stock feel/power of the truck

so that being said, if you are wanting to stick to street use only, what type and size of tires are you considering

OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
hey al, when it comes to gearing the biggest factor that you have to account for is what tire size you are wanting run
the larger the tires the deeper the gears you are going to need if you want to keep the stock feel/power of the truck

so that being said, if you are wanting to stick to street use only, what type and size of tires are you considering
hey kitten, i am planning on running 35'' tires. i also forgot to mention i have a N.P. 205 transfer case. thanks.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I'd personally stick with 32/33" tires.. no need for lift, good looking height/tire size ratio, and keep a decent MPG. I want 33" tires..but I love my 18-21mpg that I get lol

But agreed, bigger tires, "deeper" gear you'll need to maintain a positive feeling. Otherwise you'll ***** up your power feel, and you'll run like an old man

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
if the truck is geared properly then you will not be sacraficing fuel economy

that being said if you want the fuel economy look at the 4:10/4:11 range

if you want a bit more power out of the truck then you'd have start looking at the 4:56 range

OP
OP
F

Foul Al

Reaction score
if the truck is geared properly then you will not be sacraficing fuel economy
that being said if you want the fuel economy look at the 4:10/4:11 range

if you want a bit more power out of the truck then you'd have start looking at the 4:56 range
thats what i have been hearing from a few friends, to go with 4:11's. I already have a good set of 35's that i want to put under this truck but i don't want to risk breaking an axle with all that power. the truck that the motor came from was a 76' f-350 tow truck and that had a D-70 in the rear. i would like to get a bigger rear under it so its maximizing the power available. as it is now the 3:50's in it are making the motor scream like crazy at 70 m.p.h. also... if i can find a rear axle for this rig what other gear ratio's are compatible with the 3:50 that i assume is in the front? thanks for your help, Foul Al.

Broncoholic

Broncoholic
Reaction score
also... if i can find a rear axle for this rig what other gear ratio's are compatible with the 3:50 that i assume is in the front? thanks for your help, Foul Al.
You must keep the same gear ratio in both front and rear axles.

If you put 4:10's in the rear you'll have to do the same to the front.

offroadfury

Locked And Loaded
Reaction score
If you run street most of time and want fuel economy I'd put on the 35's and stick to the stock gears with that 460. I have a 460 in my Bronco and 4.11's with 35 inch tires and at hiway speeds it probably gets in the single digits. I do not drive it on hiway much just mainly country roads and it gets around 10 mpg, depending how u drive it.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Foul Al, I think Seabronc posted a tire size to gear ratio chart in one of the pinned topics. That may help you decide what gear ratio is best for your rig.The chart will list a range of ratios, so more than one specific gearset may apply to the same tire size. For 35" tall tires, you're looking at 4.11:1 or 4.56:1 and perhaps something close to that range. There are also some formulas you can use to figure out your final drive ratio with the type of tranny, t-case and axle gears you might use. This can help you decide which ratio best fits the powerband of your motor. The Ford 9" axle is plenty strong for a mild 460 street motor, too. JSM84

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke