Detroit locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offroadfury

Locked And Loaded
Reaction score
Ever since we installed the Detroit Locker it has been rather noisy during turns. There is a difference when turning left and right which left is louder and right it seems to stay locked in unless your on pavement. It is not a clunking or grinding sound but more of a ratcheting which I assume is fairly normal but it just seems too noisy to me. A couple friends of mine run them in their 14 bolts and you can barely hear them. It really annoys the **** out of me and I wish I would've spent the extra money and put a True Trac in the rear.

50joe

Reaction score
Did you put any additive in the rear with the fluid? Some posi units require a diferential additive to help lubricate the components when turning. Can get it at any parts house. Equi-torque is the type I keep on hand.

Yardape

Reaction score
The ratcheting noise is normal, in fact most powertrain shops will try to convince you to buy something else. I tried getting a price on a set front and rear for my Bronco and the guy kept telling me he will sell me Auburns because I will not like Detroits, we argued a bit and he said everyone that he has sold them to has come back saying what you said. They are the extreme in offroad lockers. You bought the best but if its driven on the street more often then not you wont see the benefit.

OP
OP
offroadfury

offroadfury

Locked And Loaded
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me I wouldn't like it but I bought it anyway. It was one of those too good to pass up deals, right place at the right time.

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
my first question to you would be do you understand how a locker works?

locker basics; when enganged the locker will send equal power down to both tires thus causing the tires to turn at the same speed

this also applies when a vehicle is turning. in an unlocked vehicle or when a locker is disengaged if a vehicle makes a turn the inside tire will turn slower and the outside tire will turn faster to make the turn. when power is spread to both tires equally they move at the same speed

a detriot locker keeps the differential locked as soon as power is given to the tires. unless it's a soft lock detroit locker it will require more power to lock the diff, but it's still the same result

so every time your tires are moving, whether on pavement or offroad, the diff is constantly locked, thus equal power to both tires, thus the tires not able to change speed when making turns, and ultimately giving you noise every time you turn

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke