Back window wiring!!! need help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
I recently fixed my back window so that it would go up and down, but unfortanatly the switch does not work. I got a switch out of a bronco at a pick n pull and put it in but still it wont work from the dash or the key switch. I tested with the wires where they go into the tailgate(next tothe reverse light) and both purples wires have power. Then i ran jumper wires between there and the motor but still the switch will not move them. Just to make sure the switch works i tested the wires that come out of it and they have power when they are supposed to. The thing i noticed was neither purple wires have power next to the reverse light when i pressed up on the switch. Any ideas guys????? Is it possible i dont have enough power goin from the fuse to the motor to work it?

Krafty

Reaction score
are you sure your motor is working?, if you jumped the motor to a power source and still nothing then your motor is fried, check for power at the harness that goes to the motor when the switches are activated.

did you say that when you used the switch, you didn't have power at the wires going into the switch?, but you did before you used the switch?

OP
OP
B

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
No my motor is fine I run a power wire from my fuse box to the motor and hook everything up as normal when i turn the ignition it goes down then i reverse the wires and it goes up. In the dash when the switch is not pressed only two blue and black wires have power then when i press down or up a purple wire has power. right outside the tailgate there is a black and blue wire, 2 purple wires, a black wire and a black and white wire. without the truck on both purple wires nd the black and white wire have power. when i turn the truck on its the same then when i press down on the switch it the same finally when i press up only the black nd white wire have power. Would a missing fuse or broken one in the distributor box not send enough power to the motor?

Krafty

Reaction score
no your fuse panel is fine. this is what I see when I look at the wiring diagram. you have lt blue and black going to dash switch for power, power there is fine

you have black and white going to key switch power is fine.

so what exaclty is the problem? both dash and key switch won't make it move, or they both will make it go down just not up? or only one switch works and the other doesn't? the purple wires get power and act as a ground through the dash switch depending on which way they are positioned. in the key switch the purple wires only act as grounds.

OP
OP
B

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
i dont think the dash switch is broken because it changes which purple wire has power in the dash. from the switch in the dash i have 6 wires 2 blue/black which are in the same slot, 2 purple wires one is purple/light bue the other is purple/green then i have a thick black wire and a thin black wire. Im not sure how many volts im gettn in the tailgate but i am gettn some. I just tested the wire goin to the motor and both have power isnt there a mechanism that detects if the glass is too far up or down if that failed maybe i just need to bypass it

50joe

Reaction score
The latch on the drivers side will prevent the window from working if thae safety switch isn't working or is out of adjustment.

OP
OP
B

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
Does anybody know how i can bypass or fix the switch and latch? thats the only thing i know that would prevent my window from workn

Krafty

Reaction score
find the two wires going to the safety switch in the tailgate. cut them strip them back and wire them together and seal with shrink wrap tube. then it will never fail again. just make sure the tailgate is properly closed every time before you put the window up.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke