Not exactly OT: Pickup bed trailer Q / idea(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

famvburg

Reaction score
I had a brain storm earlier today, or maybe it was gas. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was thinking that it'd be cool to have a trailer that sort of matches my Bronco. My first thought is an old pickup bed trailer like lots of folks used to do. They may still. Anyway, I was thinking maybe a late '60s to late '70s Ford, of course, short bed. I might would go with any other make as long as its make wasn't pressed into the tailgate, as I'd like to put "FORD" on the right side, like the Bronco. It'd be even cooler if the trailer had the same tail lights as the Bronco. Does anyone know if the '60s - '70s Ford P/Us used the same tail lights? I wouldn't really be all that concerned as long as I had room enough to cut out the rear corners to fit in Bronco tail lights tho. I just think it'd be cool to have a somewhat matching trailer to drag along. Anyone else done this or have any thoughts? Kinda like the old military trailers that military Jeeps pulled, they kinda matched the Jeep. Thanks for tolerating anyway. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I had a brain storm earlier today, or maybe it was gas. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was thinking that it'd be cool to have a trailer that sort of matches my Bronco. My first thought is an old pickup bed trailer like lots of folks used to do. They may still. Anyway, I was thinking maybe a late '60s to late '70s Ford, of course, short bed. I might would go with any other make as long as its make wasn't pressed into the tailgate, as I'd like to put "FORD" on the right side, like the Bronco. It'd be even cooler if the trailer had the same tail lights as the Bronco. Does anyone know if the '60s - '70s Ford P/Us used the same tail lights? I wouldn't really be all that concerned as long as I had room enough to cut out the rear corners to fit in Bronco tail lights tho. I just think it'd be cool to have a somewhat matching trailer to drag along. Anyone else done this or have any thoughts? Kinda like the old military trailers that military Jeeps pulled, they kinda matched the Jeep. Thanks for tolerating anyway. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

[/quote

I have seen a couple mags, off road adventures and stuff with a sameria/zuc-- pulling a trailer, I would go with a pintel hook for max articulation.. other wise take an old ford truck bed and cut and narrow too fit.. all it has too do is follow you... as long as you got the power to pull it over the same rock , it should be not prob..

BBB

Yardape

Reaction score
The truck I stripped to do the 1 ton/460 swap that I recently did is now a trailer. I lucked out and got a diff from another truck so I still have the one that came in my truck. The trailer has the same 10.25 rear diff with the same gear ratio as my Bronco, I figure this is a good way to carry spare axles, tires and what ever other misc parts I may need on the trail

OP
OP
F

famvburg

Reaction score
Since I posted last, I've stumbled upon a couple of things. I've found that '64 - '66 Ford fleetside/styleside pickups have a bed that from the wheel wells back is the same or very similar design to the Bronco & the tail lights are similar. The tail gate has "FORD" in big letters across it. I figured a short bed is the way to go, but I've located a long bed that's already a trailer & the price is not too bad at all & would save me lots of work. Only thing is, a long bed is from about the tail gate to the windshield long on the Bronco. I figure the tongue length would make the whole trailer nearly as long as the Bronco. So, what do y'all think about that long ol' bed behind my Bronco? I know it's not but a couple of feet difference in the short & long beds, but that's big. I really like the fact that it has the same styling as the Bronco tho. I'd rather not get into shortening the trailer bed for looks.

The truck I stripped to do the 1 ton/460 swap that I recently did is now a trailer. I lucked out and got a diff from another truck so I still have the one that came in my truck. The trailer has the same 10.25 rear diff with the same gear ratio as my Bronco, I figure this is a good way to carry spare axles, tires and what ever other misc parts I may need on the trail

riggermortis

Reaction score
just my opinion, but i have had alot of eperience pulling alot of different trailers, at work and at home, and a longer trailer tends to pull a little better. they are alot easier to back the longer they get, and as long as your not loading it down with more than what a bronco would be able to handle, it should be fine. when i say more than it can handle im talking like thousands of pounds. but just stuff like camping gear ect... i would feel plenty comfortable pulling it behind mine. but i should also say that mine has power steering and power disk brakes also, but even without as long as your not trying to go 90mph on the freeway i still dont think it would be a problem.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
If you're look'n for some attention & stares....pull an ugly trailer.... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :lol:

Your goal was something that looks good & works good (kinda like your Bronco)

IMHO

That big 'ole trailer would do neither. <_< sorry..!

Broncoholic

Broncoholic
Reaction score
Do you want a 66-77 Bronco bed for a trailer?

I have two that I was going to turn into trailers, the rest of the broncos were rusty and parted out.

Best part they were both free.

I find that the beds are easy to come by, both mine need floor repair, but thats easy.

For the one I plan on using a stock axle but building a new frame for it, and yes a pintle hitch works best.

BTW a 80's-90's caravan rear axle fits well under them, would work well for a show trailer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke