Need Wiring Diagram for Brake Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offroadfury

Locked And Loaded
Reaction score
Cannot get brake lights to work. Don't seem to be getting juice to the brake light switch from the turn signal switch. The turn signal switch is new. I can run jumper wire to brake light switch and both lights come on. I have 2 solid red wires and 2 red with black stripe wires running to the brake switch. No juice to it with key on. There is a red/black coming out of plug that turn signal switch connects to. Shouldn't it have power with key switch on? I had just one brake light for the longest time now I have none. Please Help!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Cannot get brake lights to work. Don't seem to be getting juice to the brake light switch from the turn signal switch. The turn signal switch is new. I can run jumper wire to brake light switch and both lights come on. I have 2 solid red wires and 2 red with black stripe wires running to the brake switch. No juice to it with key on. There is a red/black coming out of plug that turn signal switch connects to. Shouldn't it have power with key switch on? I had just one brake light for the longest time now I have none. Please Help!!!
Hey from what im looking at from my manual the brake wiring runs through the "Turn and emergency signal Switch". From the T signal switch the yellow and black wire go to left stop lamp.From the t signal switch a solid green goes to the right side stop lamp.BOTH sockets have a BLACK ground on each side. Now the manual is saying with speed control OR with out ,What do you have? The way it seems is the RED/Black GO TO/THROUGH the Turn switch.Also check your fusable links at the starter solenoid ,make sure none are stretchy/broken.The diagram seems to use those fusable links for the constant power supply that lets the lights and other circuits that work with out the ignition on.Like the headlights,flashers, and brake and parking lights.Check that and let me know what you find,Also check your very bottom right hand 20 amp fuse as this one operates your hazards and stops lamps...Let me know

OP
OP
offroadfury

offroadfury

Locked And Loaded
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers mudd. It has or had cruise which I would say is speed control but it is no longer hooked up or works. I didn't realize the bottom right fuse was for brakes and hazzards. Making me think that might be it cause I have neither. I looked at all fuses but I'll check again. I assumed they were on same circuit as turn signals. I'm not much on automotive wiring as u can probably tell.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Can you still see what the labels are for the fuses?Ill have to look at mine.The manual must have the picture clocked wrong.

BRONCADONK

Reaction score
i just had the same issue. i also did not think to check the fuse for the hazzard lights. thanks to you guys i now have brake lights again. also wile i was looking i found the fuse for my interior lights was also bad.

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
I have been having problems with my turn signals and brake lights since the day i bought my truck. The fuses for both of them kept blowing and i couldnt find the short anywhere so i did the only thing left in my mind and i wired circuit breakers into the two fuse slots (the two on the bottom left by the way). It blew less often, and i didnt have to keep buying new fuses. Then, just a few weeks ago, i decided to take off the steering wheel and i found the short. Turns out that the bottom of the steering wheel is steel and over time it wore down the plastic cover to the turn signal switch, exposing the contacts and causing it to short (only on right hand turns though). So i cut out a plastic bushing to put in between the steering wheel and the inner workings of the column. Problem solved, for now at least.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke