Steering problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cszalai

Reaction score
I bought a 94 bronco for 200 bucks, and have fixed everything bad on it, except for a couple of odds and ends like, front springs, and shocks (all 4 in the front). Are all Broncos like this?......belle tire says i have memory steer .....the direction of the the pull in the steeriong seems to change while im driving down the road. I have changed the entire rear suspension (the whole thing), the passenger radus arm bushing and bracket, the passenger pivot bushing, (frozen bolts are stopping me from doing the driver side bushings otherwise they would be done allready, but they were left for now because they don't look bad) the sway bar bushings (front and back), myself and belle tire have checked the tie rods, and ball joints (belle tire did an alignment which means they checked the fron end twice)

when i am driving on the freeway it feels like something is loose, when i get into sections of road where the lanes are worn in it gets real hard to control, while im not looking for it to handle like it was new, i do want it to drive without being all over the road.

today in michigan (oct 23rd) i was driving home from a dr appt for my daughter in the rain and hit a flooded section (just a big puddle) of water in the right lane and instead of steering to the left to keep the truck straight in the lane i found i was steering to the right,

i know the short wheelbase, will make the steering sensitive but this feels like something is loose or about to break, but when i get under it everything looks good

I am a laidoff from the auto industry, and am currently going to college to get a degree in computers so i don't have alot of money, but everything i have changed did need to be changed, weather it be because of the part being worn out, rotted, or rusted away, i just want this thing to feel safe and it dosn't

any ideas

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
memory steer? I never heard of that.

With Broncos, sometimes as the ball joints wear they actually get tighter.

I needed to replace mine for exactly that reason. The body of the truck would start to move before the wheels would start to change direction, then when they would break free and turn, they would go too far, and cause me to have to turn back in the other direction, essentially due to over steering.

I can relate to the difficulty keeping it straight when driving over *** holes, or worn/rugged ruts, especially when the lanes are narrow, it could be a little hair raising. I replaced all four ball joints and it is much, much better.

Seabronc

Reaction score
That is not a trait of all Broncos. It is usually caused by worn and loose front end parts. Some problems can't be seen by a look under the truck, sometimes it takes a pry bar to see a worn bushing, or other part. Take it to a good 4X4 mechanic.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
C

cszalai

Reaction score
That is not a trait of all Broncos. It is usually caused by worn and loose front end parts. Some problems can't be seen by a look under the truck, sometimes it takes a pry bar to see a worn bushing, or other part. Take it to a good 4X4 mechanic.
Good luck,

:)>-
I changed the pivot bushing on one side and i just found after i listed this post that i might not have installed it right here is a picture of it DSCN3511.JPGif you look close there is a spacer in the bushing filling the area where i should have pressed in (i think it goes on the other side)

what your saying Seabroc is what i thought but the guy where i went owns a bronco also so i went here for a second opinion, looks like i was right....thanks, I think im going to rent the ball joint press mentioned in another thread and reinstall it the correct way....it might throw off my alignment again but at least it will be correctly installed

also any ideas to get the bolt out for the other side.....i broke a snap-on 1/2inch drive, 18mm socket trying to get that bolt out

DSCN3510.JPG

Thanks

cszalai

Krafty

Reaction score
use the liquid wrench, heat it up and it doesn't break free, then torch it off and replace the bolt.

Ike

Reaction score
This may or may not help. I have an 88 and with 260 000 on it I just changed my steering box, for something kinda similar to what your describing. On warn roads and potholes as well as over 100km/h the truck would wander and I would find myself correcting with as much as a 1/4 turn of the wheel, but it was always different. It was like driving a rope uphill.

The truck has new radius arm bushings, balljoints, swaybar bushings, wheel bearings, and new shocks. after an alignment I found the truck tract straight but I was still correcting ALOT, so a new steering box ( 250$ cdn from partsource for a re manufactured one) and its like driving a new truck. so if your gremlin keeps up it could have something to do with steering box.

Hope that helps

50joe

Reaction score
I have a 96, and It tends to do the same thing. The front end has been completely rebuilt, and I have had it aligned on a laser rack. It still does it. Drove my boss's. It does it. Drove his wifes; IT does it. Drove my drivers, IT does it TOO. Have come to the conclusion that the TTB fromt end is sensitive to crappy roads, and after 2 years have learned to live with it. (for the record, we have 8 full size Bronco's between us at work. All 92-96. Seem to all have the same bad habits)

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
cszalai, the picture you show of the axle pivot bushing has it installed incorrectly as you thought. The metal lip of the bushing should be 0.210-0.290 inches from the beam surface, or about 1/4 inch ( according to the Haynes manual). I have some pics of the removal and installation of the bushings in my Supermotors.net gallery for the 84 Bronco (click on my username to find the link to my "Homepage"). The rubber ring is supposed to go on the opposite side. The bolt should easily come out once you relive any pressure or weight off the beam. I try to us a floor jack under the beam and a bottle jack under the hub for leverage. But it's possible that the bolt is seized or rusted to the metal sleeve inside the bushing. Soaking liberally with PB or penetrating **** or applying heat usually works. If you have to use a sledge it will likely ruin the bolt, but ifit's rusted up it's no good anyway.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/1133/33818

As for the loose steering I would agree with the posts that your problem is not "normal" for broncos and that something is worn or loose. Check the condition of the rag joint in the steereing, as well as for excess play in the steering box. Be aware of some alignment shops that want you to replace everything for $1100, too, as the problem may only be one or two items. On a side note, worn axle pivot bushings often cause a popping nosie when making slow turns, while the errratic steering is some part in the actual steering itself. But a poor alignment or bad caster will affect the handling as Steve83 described. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

koontreeguy

Reaction score
justshootme84 u seem to REALLY know ur stuff can u take a look at my posting "transfercase won't let go" !!?? and u stole my thunder for that rag joint thing haha .kidding

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke