5.0 EFI project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09163x

Reaction score
I have a 90 F-150 with a 5.0 EFI as a donor for my 72 Bronco. I've owned the 90 for years and rebuilt the motor years ago and it hasnt seen alot of miles, it's mildly built and is a good runner. The 72 motor runs ok but has oil leaks as the Bronco sat for 3 years before I bought it. JBG has a complete harness to do this and I'm looking for some insight before tackling the project. I pulled the motor the other day so I could send the rest of the truck to the scrap yard. I unplugged the motor from the chassis and saved the ecm from the 90. What else do I need besides the harness?

OK.... for some reason, I can search the Forum now that I've posted.... but didn't find what I was looking for. But I'll add a little more info. The 72 is Currently a 302, mated to a 435/205 combo. I know I need to upgrade my fuel tank to an EFI type (I need a 23 gallon anyway).I has a 9" susp lift and 3" body lift so that should help any clearance issues. What else do Ineed to know?

Last edited by a moderator:

68rrflyer

Reaction score
I have a 90 F-150 with a 5.0 EFI as a donor for my 72 Bronco. I've owned the 90 for years and rebuilt the motor years ago and it hasnt seen alot of miles, it's mildly built and is a good runner. The 72 motor runs ok but has oil leaks as the Bronco sat for 3 years before I bought it. JBG has a complete harness to do this and I'm looking for some insight before tackling the project. I pulled the motor the other day so I could send the rest of the truck to the scrap yard. I unplugged the motor from the chassis and saved the ecm from the 90. What else do I need besides the harness?OK.... for some reason, I can search the Forum now that I've posted.... but didn't find what I was looking for. But I'll add a little more info. The 72 is Currently a 302, mated to a 435/205 combo. I know I need to upgrade my fuel tank to an EFI type (I need a 23 gallon anyway).I has a 9" susp lift and 3" body lift so that should help any clearance issues. What else do Ineed to know?
To convert over to EFI, you've got a lot of things to consider. You'll need two harnesses specifically from your F-150 for sure; Fuel rail harness and engine harness. The main engine harness is the big one that connects to everything and the smaller one runs on top of the engine and connects the injectors, sensors, etc. You'll need to convert the tank to an EFI one like you already said, and you'll also need an electric fuel pump and return line on the fuel system. You'll need to weld in an O2 sensor into the exhaust just aft of the collectors (about 2" or so). You may have to think about hood clearance issues since the F-150s intake top is higher than the Mustang 5.0 intake ( I think...). You'll more than likey have to rig up an intake system as the MAF and Air Cleaner may have fitment issues. Ron Morris Performace has a lot of good info for the swaps: http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/06tech/index.html Hope that helps some!

riggermortis

Reaction score
another good website is www.fordfuelinjection.com they have alot of good info on swaps. from my experience so far it almost looks like a mustang harness would be easier to use than the truck harness. the mustang harness is pretty much all self contained, where the truck harness is tied in with the main chassis harness. im going to try to use a truck harness on a swap within the next couple of months we'll see how it goes. and as far as the height of the intake the truck one is way to tall to fit under the stock hood, the mustang one barely clears mine on my '67 bronco.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeiam82

Reaction score
Just to clarify, you do not need to buy an efi tank unless you want ease of use and more fuel capacity. Im using my stock tank for the efi swap and im just plumbing the fuel return line into the rear fuel neck and using 2 frame pumps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke