Stalling after long drives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dagger_91Beast

Reaction score
I have a 91 with a 302 and EFI. Been running great and took it about 3 hrs away to get new bumpers on a hot Texas afternoon. Drove fine, air OK, but when I pulled into town is tried to die at the first stop light. Continued to jump and snort every time I hit the gas after stopping. Once I got back on the highway it was fine, but gave me the same issue when I got into a neighborhood. It was as if it wasn't getting any gas. Checked the line for issues and found none. Vapor lock? Suggestions?

walt88

Reaction score
I have a 91 with a 302 and EFI. Been running great and took it about 3 hrs away to get new bumpers on a hot Texas afternoon. Drove fine, air OK, but when I pulled into town is tried to die at the first stop light. Continued to jump and snort every time I hit the gas after stopping. Once I got back on the highway it was fine, but gave me the same issue when I got into a neighborhood. It was as if it wasn't getting any gas. Checked the line for issues and found none. Vapor lock? Suggestions?
Did you get this figured out? I've been having the same issue.

OP
OP
D

Dagger_91Beast

Reaction score
Nope. It made 2 good 3 hr trips, but gave me trouble heading out to hunt this week. Taking it into the shop today. Will post when I get it back.

OP
OP
D

Dagger_91Beast

Reaction score
Shop says this isn't it, so I'm not sure what's up. Need to find out a solution otherwise I'll have to sell her. Got her for hunting and she needs to make 6 hours to do that.

Suggestions?

AdamDude04

Reaction score
No vapor lock - you have an EFI motor..won't effect it.

For me, it was the ECT sensor.. (Engine Coolant Temp). Located right below the throttle body. If you buy the sensor (cheap) you'll see what exactly it looks like and be able to find it easy. It's to the right of the throttle body, down a few inches.

What happens is that sensor goes bad, tells the computer the coolant is at this temp, adjusts the air/fuel and other stuff to run "better"..thus giving it too much gas, or not enough gas. It'll try to stall out, may even bogg down as you try to give it more gas. For me, it died after I tried to floor it a few times. Then about 45min later, it started up like nothing ever happend. Ran as smooth as before.

Anywho, sounds like that's the problem to me.. as you said it doesn't act like it has enough gas. Also mine started acting that way when it was hot outside, and the A/C on too..

Hope this helps!

Hefty

Reaction score
Fuel pump is going out. Mine did the same thing. It would over heat after longer trip and stall as soon as I slowed down. It would do it and after it would cool I wouldn't have any issues until I took it on the interstate again. Dealership couldn't figure it out either. It finally tripped a lean code and thats when I figured it out. This went on for 2 months before I found the problem. I haven't had an issue since.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Fuel pump is going out. Mine did the same thing. It would over heat after longer trip and stall as soon as I slowed down. It would do it and after it would cool I wouldn't have any issues until I took it on the interstate again. Dealership couldn't figure it out either. It finally tripped a lean code and thats when I figured it out. This went on for 2 months before I found the problem. I haven't had an issue since.
Doesn't mean exactly it's the fuel pump.. my truck did the same thing. Threw a lean code, and acted like it wasn't getting enough gas.

Replaced that ECT sensor, (almost replaced the fuel pump)..and nearly 6k miles later, not a single issue...even after driving 900 miles on a camping trip with A/C on in 90-100 degree heat. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Speakin' of codes; did anyone do a self test on it - both KOEO and KOER?

Esp with engine at norm op temp?

OP
OP
D

Dagger_91Beast

Reaction score
Thanks guys, great info. Miesk5, I will do a self test today and grab the codes. If the ECT sesor is cheap I may try that as well. I did have a coolent leak due to a worn out hose that I fixed prior to my last trip.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke