Blinker probs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddog7375

Reaction score
Ok heres whats going on..As of a few nights ago I have changed all the wiring in the 79 Bronco...When I say all the wiring I mean it all...I even switched out the blinker wires in the steering column also the light switch

There are no cuts or broken wires..I actually took all the harnesses apart & re taped them...

These are the only grounds Iv found on the truck..

Motor to body

motor to batt

body to frame

2 taillight

2 headlight

1 under the dash to the steering wheel mount

I have now run all grounds to the frame & added 3 more from the body to the frame & batt to body

I took a grinding wheel to each mount so they are all bare metal to bare metal

Heres what the lights are doing...

Left blinker works

Left blinker works with headlights on but slow

Right blinker acts like flashers

right stop flashing with headlights on except left blinker

flashers work except left flasher/blinker

flashers stop with headlights on

Break on right blinker all flash except left turn/blinker

break on left blinkers work

break on headlight on left blinker doesn't work

Work slow with parking light on then stop

So theres the lay out ....Any Ideas??...Its really ticking me off & this is all I need to get working to drive it....

Thanks

Bronc76

Reaction score
Did you check to make sure that the chassis to column harness is not loose?

Bronc76

Reaction score
I'm assuming that the bulbs were working fine before the rewiring so I can eliminate the theory of corroded sockets or incorrect bulbs were installed. This may not be your problem but have you thought about maybe replacing the turn signal switch?

OP
OP
M

Muddog7375

Reaction score
I'm assuming that the bulbs were working fine before the rewiring so I can eliminate the theory of corroded sockets or incorrect bulbs were installed. This may not be your problem but have you thought about maybe replacing the turn signal switch?

I did....100% of the wiring has been changed over to another 100% working harness

1978BroncoCustom

I've got a similar problem and am looking for advice/solutions. With the headlights off left blinker works normally, right blinker (front and rear) blink slow. When the headlights are turned on the left blinker works normally and the right blinker (front and rear) lights go out and the indicator does not illuminate or flash on the instrument cluster. Plan to check fuses and grounds (chases, light sockets, etc) and bulbs. Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions on what I should check first? Initially I thought it was the flasher relay going bad, but after reading this thread I am not so sure.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo 1978BroncoCustom,

Check the bulb flashing too slow. 

Check for loose connections or corrosion at the bulb socket.

Both turn signals on one side don't work 8852DC3.gif Check for bad bulbs.

Check for bad grounds In both housings.

by http://www.procarcare.com

¤

Go through the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting in 1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual by topsig (Ziggy) @ http://www.supermotors.net/registry/24302/83503-2

Same for your 78

¤

SEE PAGES:

21 contains ground locations

& 22 

●Headlights share grounds with turn signals lamps.

GL!

Al 

1978BroncoCustom

Thanks Al for the wiring guide link. As soon as the heat breaks some I'll start with the grounding points for the headlights.

V/R

Jim

1978BroncoCustom

Working from the outside In on my blinker problem. Checked all bulbs and sockets, cleaned both with an electrical water displacing lubricant; checked and cleaned grounds and grounding points with no change. Tomorrow I will move to the inside to check the fuse block and the steering column ground, followed by replacing the blinker relay if required. The current symptoms have not changed from the above, but I did notice that the blinker lights on the right side are dimmer than the left. Please advise if there is anything that I may be overlooking or if you have seen similar blinker issues. Thanks again for the assistance.

V/R

Jim

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jim,

You are on the right path.

Continue to follow the troubleshooting on page 22 of the EVTM. 

Hopefully, the turn signal switch is ok.

1978BroncoCustom

Moved to the inside this afternoon, checked the fuse and fuse block, along with ground wire mounted on the steering support frame. Next I changed out the turn signal relay as a last resort with no change in symptoms. Tomorrow I will use a test light to check the integrity of the ground wires on the front and rear lights. If no broken ground is found it will be time to order a turn signal switch from LMC.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Jim, 

Some more tests by friends:

With headlights are turned on, pull a bulb on side not working, turn on parking lights and see if turn indicator is lit.

Could be just a bulb whose filament breaks off and welds across both

terminals inside the bulb.

Clean the sockets' contacts w/ a small nail file or piece of sand paper or emery cloth.

Check the turn signal harness by the steering column.
Test these wires for batty voltage  to the turn signals:
green W/white stripe = left front

yellow W/black stripe = left rear

white W/blue stripe = right front

solid green = right rear

Check and see if you have power at those wires, if there is power there the switch is good and you have a problem with the wiring harness going to the turn signal socket's. If you have no power there then I would figure it's  a bad turn signal switch.

1978BroncoCustom

Three of four park light and tail light light sockets were bad. Have them on order and will install next week after I come off shift. Thank you for the lighting trouble shooting guide Al as it will help with installation and additional trouble shooting if the sockets don't fix it.

1978BroncoCustom

Success! Changed out all four sockets, replaced all four bulbs, cleaned and checked all aforementioned grounding points; all lights and blinkers work as they should. Thank you Al for the diagrams and recommendations as it gave method to my approach to trouble shooting. One recommendation would be to wear your glasses when reconnecting all the wiring as brown begins to look a lot like black on about the fourth socket. Thank you again for the assistance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke