Grinding Sound When Turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pooh145

Reaction score
Whenever I turn real sharp towards one wheel there is a horrible grinding....but only when I'm turning. I don't think it's the CV joint b/c I don't here a click...I was thinking it could be a wheel bearing????

azrockrat

Reaction score
could be a wheel bearing, does it do it no matter which way you turn? also no c.v joints on the front end only u-joints.. tell us what some more info on your bronco that will help out alot also

Stomper4x4

Reaction score
I would think a wheel bearing would grind, squeel, bark or whatever more than just when the wheel is turned. Does it wo it with the truck sitting still? (think power steering) or only when the rig is moving?

OP
OP
P

pooh145

Reaction score
It only happens when I turn sharply left (like into a parking spot) turning the other way doesn't grind like that. I don't think it's my front U-joints b/c I don't hear anything when the truck is moving forward. Thanks for all the help though...I'll let ya'll know what it is :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Andy

OP
OP
P

pooh145

Reaction score
1990 351W Auto tranny 4x4 of course!!! I now hear a light clunk putting it into gear and figure it must be the front U joints but I dont' think that is the grind when I'm turning unless it's the wheels on the well but 31x10.5 shouldn't on my truck???

Stomper4x4

Reaction score
Well, 31" BFG allterrains dont rub on my 89. Does the clunk happen in 2wd or just when in 4wd? IT its 2wd, it's probably the rear driveshaft u joints. As for the grinding, I'm sort of stumped <_<

Yeah let us know what it is if you find out. The fact that it only happens when turning hard in one direction confuses me. Maybe have someone drive the truck slowly with the wheel turned all the way while you stand, or walk next to it and listen where the noise is coming from

letrain

Reaction score
sure its a grinding and not a rubbing? what size tire do you have?

amcabbott

Reaction score
sounds like the brake backing plate/dust cover is to close to the rotor may have rusted or got bent i had that happen before.only did it in a hard turn

OP
OP
P

pooh145

Reaction score
I had the rotors replaced a short while ago. It only seems to be when I turn real sharp into a parking spot or pulling a U turn. I guess it could be rubbing but I wouldn't know on what b/c my tires don't on the other side. But as soon as I figure it out I'll let ya'll know

Shadow_D

Reaction score
This might sound real stupid but check your hubs. To me it sounds like the left hub is locked and the right is free. Like I said it may sound real stupid but if you or your neighbor's have kids that like to get into things anything is possible.

Ktomek06

Reaction score
Mine rub when I turn and I have 31's dueler at's..at least i thought it was rubbing and not grinding

Billz4x4z

Reaction score
Check the axle joints,wheel bearings and stuff,check for fresh scrape marks on anything that might be rubbin.Does it do it while brakin?

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke