Starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco Deano

Reaction score
New to the site but love it.. Here is my situation. Driving down the street and my 1990 bronco stalls. I pull over and start it up, no problem. Drive another 200 feet and it stalls again. She will not start. Fuel pump and filter are good full tank of gas. Any suggestions??? Bronco Deano

JRose_89

Reaction score
Did you check to see if your still getting fire? Maybe you have or had a loose or shored wire that gave out. Or even a coil or distributor that is or has given up. Also what motor do you have? Is it carb or F/I?

G/L,

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Need more info. Just *how* does the truck die when this happens ? Does the engine just quit like you turned the key off (indicating that it's maybe an electrical/ignition issue that's killing the spark) or does it sputter & surge then die (pointing towards more of a fuel issue instead of something ignition/electrical in nature) ? You said the fuel pump & filter were good, have they been replaced recently ? If so how about the in-tank filter/strainer ? Those can get clogged up & cause fuel starvation problems that resolve as soon as the engine dies & the suction stops but once you restart it the problem comes right back. Someone else will have to double check me on this, but as I recall, the 1990's have just the single in-tank fuel pump right ? Not the dual pump (low pressure in-tank feed pump & high-pressure framerail mounted booster pump) arrangement that the 87/88's have right ? If you *do* have the dual pumps then that's obviously something to look at. Is this a constant problem or intermittent ? Is it stalling when the engine is cold, after it's been driven awhile and is hot or under both conditions ? Off the top of my head the fuel pump relay comes to mind. What's the history of the truck, what problems/repairs has it had in the past ? Any work been done to it recently ? When is stalls does it restart easily & will it only restart the once or are you able to restart it a few times before it packs it in & quits. Does it seem to restart more easily if you wait 10-15 minutes ? Does it refuse to restart if you try it immediately ? Is there a pattern to this or does it all seem completely random ?

Just one last comment, thanks for joining the site it's always great when new people come in and everyone loves knowing there's another Bronco-guy out there :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Something that's helpful here is to add the info about your truck (year, engine, transmission, modifications, etc) to your signature so it automatically gets added to each post. This gives others the basic info about your truck that we would otherwise have to ask about. Glad to have you here, don't be shy about asking for help, suggestions or moral support :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar