What is this called?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco Jo

Reaction score
Hey, sorry to sound kind-a-dumb but i can't figure out what the name of this part is and its leaking. Used Broncomanns pic because i forgot to take one before it got dark, its the piece with the metal tube that a heater hose hooks up to.

l_0712e03e20a64bc9a6aeb8624f626ad3.jpg

muddrivermike

Reaction score
If Im looking at the same part as you,Are you talking about the metal tube that goes under the plenium towards the rear of the engine?If so they usually call that something like a by-pass tube.Most of the time when I have to order something like that from ford they fax me over a picture of all the coolent tubes in that area,and I call them back and tell them what number it is.You might have to go to the dealer themselves and point out what part it is on their screen.

OP
OP
Bronco Jo

Bronco Jo

Reaction score
The one metal tube goes to the left of the motor where a heater hose hooks up to it, while there is another hose right below that tube, and at the top of the fitting there is an electrical plug. The metal tube kind of goes under the front of the plentum, and comes out right by the egr valve where the heater hose hooks up.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I can't quite be sure from the pic but are you talking about the throttle body (the large rectangular thingie with the two butterfly valves)? The throttle body has a small diameter (3/8" or so) hose that runs to it carrying coolant. I believe it's to warm it up for cold starts in winter. They do leak from time to time. To the best of my knowledge that tube isn't really a replaceable item, it's part of the throttle body assembly. I'd take the hose off to get a better look at it. I might just be an old hose that needs replacing or a new/tightened hose clamp. If the tube on the throttle body *is* trashed you could try cutting it back to get to good tubing or using a new longer hose that you can work up past the rotted part

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Bronco Jo

Bronco Jo

Reaction score
The place where it leaking is in the the bottom half of the part where it turns freely so that the top half doesn't half to spin around. I've asked our local shops and they don't really know, i'm thinking it could be some kind of sensor or something like that. It is mounted above the thermostat and just to the left of the distributor cap, and just in front of where the plentum mounts.

Yardape

Reaction score
The tube you have circled is the throttle body preheater, or what ever the technical term is for it. But what you are describing does not sound like this at all, maybe try taking you own pic and try to show it in better detail.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
The place where it leaking is in the the bottom half of the part where it turns freely so that the top half doesn't half to spin around. I've asked our local shops and they don't really know, i'm thinking it could be some kind of sensor or something like that. It is mounted above the thermostat and just to the left of the distributor cap, and just in front of where the plentum mounts.
Are we maybe talking about the air bypass valve ? I know it's got a gasket between the valve & throttle body but I don't recall it tapping into the coolant passages in the throttle body. Dunno, without a better photo it's hard to say but the bypass valve could look like a sensor sorta thing & it IS on the righthand side of the throttle body.

Krafty

Reaction score
if im thinking about the same part. its a fitting that threads into the intake or thermostat housing that holds the temperature sensor,( the wires) has a line that goes to the throttle body, and a line that connects to the heater core.

I don't know what the fitting is called, but your best bet is to go to a scrap yard an pull one off and replace your leaky one.

92broncomann

Reaction score
Sweet, someone using pics of my rig to figure out their parts HEHEHE. **** :D/

From what I can see, the arrow is pointing at a Threaded block, that contains the tube that runs the bypass out to the heater core and also has a temp sensor on it. It threads into the intake just to the left of the distributor and below the TB.

No idea what its called LOL

92BM

spike1488

Reaction score
Are we maybe talking about the air bypass valve ? I know it's got a gasket between the valve & throttle body but I don't recall it tapping into the coolant passages in the throttle body. Dunno, without a better photo it's hard to say but the bypass valve could look like a sensor sorta thing & it IS on the righthand side of the throttle body.
Idle Air Control Valve:)>- :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo