1990 351 Smoke on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemlock

Reaction score
I have a 1990 w/a 351. When I start it up it blows white smoke from tailpipe. Not just a little a bunch. After driving a few miles it stops. If I drive everyday and often it does not do it as much. It is when it sits for a few days that it really starts to smoke. I looked under and have no drips or leaks. There is a bit of seapage fron the top end but I have been told that is just a gasket fix. What do you think?

Krafty

Reaction score
could be a leaky valve seal, on my 429 that had been sitting, after I put it in and started driving it, it would smoke alot at the start but easy up , but still not really stop. when I pulled my springs off I only had 2 out of 16 seals that were not completely destroyed, sounds like you might have one or two starting to leak.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
That sure sounds like valve seals as Krafty said.Pull your plugs and see what color they are.see if they have indications from oil on them.Now I was told if you use full synethic oil even though you may be burning it,,You wont see anything out of the exhaust.But it isnt as simple as drain and refill it and thats it.You have to do it a couple times to get the old oil flushed out of the engine from the new oil,then when its all synethic it should work...I cant confirm this though.And its defenitly not a fix.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
White smoke is steam.

Condensation due to changes in temperature can collect inside the exhaust. You'll notice it more when you have a few days that there is a lot of dew.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
As Joe said, white smoke is steam. If it's gone after a few min of driving then it's just condensation in the exhaust & perfectly normal, particularly in cold climates. If it *doesn't* go away then you need to look for the source which is usually a head gasket.

Black smoke is oil or fuel that generally comes from something like worn valve seals, piston rings or a carb that's running rich

Gray smoke is usually transmission fluid coming from something like a blown modulator valve.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Gray smoke is usually transmission fluid coming from something like a blown modulator valve.

See that! I learn something every day.

Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Krafty

Reaction score
also if it is infact steam, then that would mean that you are instantly boiling off coolant from inside your combustion chamber that seeps in from your leaky gasket when sitting.

50joe

Reaction score
Saw a cherokee blowing grey smoke once. Turned out it was brake fluid. Seal in the master blew, booster sucked it in, through the check valve, down the hose, into the intake. Only did it when you hit the brakes. Now THAT was a one in a million.....lol.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I had grey smoke that was engine oil. not black smoke
small amounts of oil usually look black, if it's burning a lot of oil the smoke tends to look more blueish. Old engine oil that has a lot of contaminants & old fuel (usually from worn rings) can do that but they're just guidelines & subject to interpretation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Saw a cherokee blowing grey smoke once. Turned out it was brake fluid. Seal in the master blew, booster sucked it in, through the check valve, down the hose, into the intake. Only did it when you hit the brakes. Now THAT was a one in a million.....lol.
Hey ive seen that before,pretty funny when you dont see any brake fluid leaking,just it disappearing. :lol:

50joe

Reaction score
I thought she was nuts when she told me why she was bringing it in. Always learnin......

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo