fuel problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogmit

Reaction score
map sensor is fine, no codes are stored,fuel filter was a little bit dirty and when i crank the engine with the filter disconnected, it pumped gas out like crazy, is there a test for fuel pressure regulator that can be performed?any ideas, thanks

I have a 92 bronco 5.8liter,last year replaced tank and pump and new fuel filter, I went to start it the other day and it seem like it was starving for gas and i have a fuel guage on rail and it is only pumping 20 psi, is the pump bad again?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

rogmit

Reaction score
map sensor is fine, no codes are stored,fuel filter was a little bit dirty and when i crank the engine with the filter disconnected, it pumped gas out like crazy, is there a test for fuel pressure regulator that can be performed?any ideas, thanks

I have a 92 bronco 5.8liter,last year replaced tank and pump and new fuel filter, I went to start it the other day and it seem like it was starving for gas and i have a fuel guage on rail and it is only pumping 20 psi, is the pump bad again?
the (zone) but when i disconnected the fuel ine to the filter and disconnected the coil, it seem to be pumping fine at the line, but i the fuel pressure regulator being bad is rare or what ? is there a test to check the fuel pressure regulator?

89Bronco58

Reaction score
On your year Bronco you should have 2 fuel pumps. A high pressure one in the tank and a low pressure one located on the inside of the frame rail on the drivers side, sounds to me like your tank pump quit and your running off the secondary low psi pump. This happend to me, and it will run with that pump, just not well or for long. Your best bet is to replace or check the fuel pump in the tank first, but as for checking the psi youd need the kit and guage to thread onto the fitting located on the fuel rail itself. Other than that, replacing the whole fuel rail/regulator is the only other way to see if it is the actual regulator, but thats 99.9% never the case

OP
OP
R

rogmit

Reaction score
On your year Bronco you should have 2 fuel pumps. A high pressure one in the tank and a low pressure one located on the inside of the frame rail on the drivers side, sounds to me like your tank pump quit and your running off the secondary low psi pump. This happend to me, and it will run with that pump, just not well or for long. Your best bet is to replace or check the fuel pump in the tank first, but as for checking the psi youd need the kit and guage to thread onto the fitting located on the fuel rail itself. Other than that, replacing the whole fuel rail/regulator is the only other way to see if it is the actual regulator, but thats 99.9% never the case
but I thought the 92 broncos only had the tank fuel pump only

OP
OP
R

rogmit

Reaction score
Rogmit; yes, you have only the in-tank pump.
ok, thanks miesk5, as i said i pulled the line off the fuel filter and disconnected the coil and it seemed to be pumping fine at that pont, but i have to get some fittings to put a fuel pressure guage on it, but do you think it is also the fuel pump in the tank is bad even though it seems to be pumping through the line at filter?any help appreciated, thanks.

OP
OP
R

rogmit

Reaction score
Steve83 said:
Yes, it certainly sounds like the pump is bad. Where did it come from? (Don't say the zone...)
Click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the '90-96 Fuel System album.
where's the cheapest place to get a motrcraft pump,no more zone parts for me, i've learned my lesson,I called the local ford dealer and they gave me a price of like $450.00, I just can't afford that right now, any ideas on where to purchase will be appreciated

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
where's the cheapest place to get a motrcraft pump,no more zone parts for me, i've learned my lesson,I called the local ford dealer and they gave me a price of like $450.00, I just can't afford that right now, any ideas on where to purchase will be appreciated

Great that you're igging da zone!

Some sources;

http://www.forddirectonline.com/

MOTORCRAFT Fuel pump, bronco, 5.8l 92-94 LIST $383.62 Your Price $284.84

http://www.cdiautoparts.com LIST $383.53 Your Price $252.14

MOTORCRAFT PFB4 (MFF)

Fuel Pump And Hanger Assembly

REQUIRES JUMPER HARNESS

(90-95)

http://www.rockauto.com

DELPHI Part # FG0198 {MODULAR FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY} looks like motor/pump only

Actual OE Part 154.79 $0.00 $154.79