new tailgate w/ motor problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddpuppy

Reaction score
i'm so lost over this crap.

first off 92 eddie b

the motor does work, jumped for the battery. i checked the fuses, checked power to the dash switch, checked grounds

everywhere ( i believe) put a jumper in the latch switch to bypass it

now... to start i had 10 volts on the red and 8.2 volts on the yellow now nothing? wth? (the only thing i did was cut out the plug and hard wire them together at the motor) so i pulled the plug under the back to the gate and i have 6.8 volt on the "constant" hot. did i mention i hate auto electrical. so i seem to be at a stand still with this.

the good in this is when i got the truck the driver side window switch was backwards, up was down and vise versa, but through reading all the threads and god bless steve83 for his supermotors page and everyone else's threads that i have read today, oh and yesterday and the day before that, i got the drivers side window right atleast! i'm tired now and i'm removing myself for the problem for a bit. i think i'll sit here and stare at the monitor for a while :((

any thing you can think of that i didn't do yet would be great

thanks

my name is mudd

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Ok first things first... It's prob not your fault so take a deep breath and relax BUT DON"T GRAB A BEER YET! :lol:

Chances are the wires are broke between the tail light and the tailgate, they usually break after years of use.

Pull the driver side tail light out and look for the harness that comes from the tail gate and unplug it

Now start checking for power on the "truck" side of the plug. Also look to see how badly corroded the plug is.

Chances are you will have good power at that point. If you do, start looking at the wires in the "fold" between the gate and the body. thats where they usually break. If you use the sharp point on the probe you should be able to find the break and repair it.

OP
OP
muddpuppy

muddpuppy

Reaction score
Ok first things first... It's prob not your fault so take a deep breath and relax BUT DON"T GRAB A BEER YET! :lol: Chances are the wires are broke between the tail light and the tailgate, they usually break after years of use.

Pull the driver side tail light out and look for the harness that comes from the tail gate and unplug it

Now start checking for power on the "truck" side of the plug. Also look to see how badly corroded the plug is.

Chances are you will have good power at that point. If you do, start looking at the wires in the "fold" between the gate and the body. thats where they usually break. If you use the sharp point on the probe you should be able to find the break and repair it.
thanks for your reply shadow, yet...my wire connect (under the bed at the end of the frame, but i get it)was pulled

that being said unfortunately no good . thats where i'm getting what is NOW =9.6 volts coming from the hot.

all i can figure is a bad or loose ground.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
ok I can't find the info I'm looking for but give me some time... Also someone else has the pics I'm lookin for and he will most likely post them...

OP
OP
muddpuppy

muddpuppy

Reaction score
Steve83 said:
If you only have 9.6V on the hot wire when the motor's NOT running, then you have VERY high resistance in the hot wire. Trace it back to the dash fuse block. The only connector is at the firewall.

ok, high resistance meaning....? i've been a commercial electrician dor 16 years so you think i could get right? well patience

is a need they don;t sell at the part house unfortunately, but the love of my bronc runs as deep as any around here. so if you could walk a little slower i might pick it up :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
muddpuppy

muddpuppy

Reaction score
Steve83 said:
High resistance can mean a VERY bad connection, a broken wire, corrosion, or an unexpected load in the circuit.
i'll be running that that down today too, thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke