Tool to remove top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lascassas_camper

Reaction score
What tool (size) do i need to remove the bolts from my 1994 Ford Bronco? The tops never been off and when I removed the trim, there is some kind of allen head bolt. I tried drilling out the center of an allen head wrench, but it just wasn't the right size. Where can I get the correct tool? [email protected]

Broncobill78

Reaction score
You can get a torx head socket at any Autozone, Napa, WalMart, etc. You can also get them as screwdrivers but you'll want the sockets instead. I haven't yet had one of the Bronco's new enough to use the torx heads so I can't give you a size but they're probably T15, T20 or T25. The auto parts place should let you run out & fit it to see which you'll need.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
On your 94 Bronco, the removeable top bolts are a security Torx, with a little dimple in the center. Your best bet is to drive to the local auto parts store, and get the se that fits. This will save you 3 or 4 trips back and forth for the right one. The rear seat belts attach to the hardtop, so they are non-functional when you remove it. You can retro-fit some older style lap belts for the rear bench., JSM84

stusainte

Reaction score
I got a set of security torx bits from auto zone spec for my 95 and there fairly cheap $ and it only takes about 5 min to unbolt all and it s a good idea to have a hoist systemor some friends to help take the top off its not to heavy but bulky

OP
OP
L

lascassas_camper

Reaction score
Its off! It only took me about 2 1/2 hours, 3 of the #40 Torx drivers and 1/2 a can of wd40, and a bath....but i got it off. It sure was filthy under the interior trim....15 years of dust and grime.

:rolleyes:

The PO said the top had never been off except for a factory re-paint and I beleive it. I'm going to buy some different bolts to secure the top, those torx heads are too easy to strip out the nut driver and my patience.

***I was looking at the rear seat belt situation (and since the shoulder bolt was bolted in the fiberglass/plastic top anyway) I beleive after a little measuring and with a piece of 1/4 flat steel behind the inner sheetmetal, I believe I can bolt the top of the shoulder belt to the inner side of the bed cap and have it still be functional and safe.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I suppose you *could* add a reinforcing plate and run it that way but like JSM84 mentioned, a seat from an earlier truck will have the lap belts integrated into it and is an inexpensive bolt-in. The junkyard I usually go to has several at the moment & he wants $50 for one. Not a bad price really. Do a little looking & you can probably find one to match your interior or toss a $12 Wal-Mart seat cover on it.

Yeah, twisting up those large Torx sockets get old fast. I'm rewiring & doing a lot of body work on a friends CJ7 & wasted a pair of large T50's trying to get the rusted rollbar bolts out. Finally wound up getting a hardened black-oxide set for impact-wrenches. They work much better & it's nice to be able to use the impact instead of a ratchet.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncotough

Reaction score
I use a t-40 in my dewalt 18v impact makes short work of them. I seem to lose the little clips the bolts thread into. I got a buddy with a 91 xlt, his back belts bolt just above the rear wheel well. next time im at the junk yard im going to look for a set.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke