Timing Chain Cover Dipstick on 302ci

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76 MS. bronco

Reaction score
I'm wondering how/why there is a dipstick tube on the timing chain cover of my 302 in a 76 Bronco. there is a dipstick in the oil pan. which one should i plug and how do i do this?

Thank you!!!

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Pre 1980's 302's had the dipstick in the timing chain cover. At some point that engine was swapped in from something else and the swap required a new oil pan & the new pan was setup for a dipstick. The original dipstick location (timing chain cover) was intended to be used with the original pan, since the original pan has been replaced I'd plug the timing cover hole & use the pan mounted dipstick. The way I'm reading your post the actual dipstick is in the pan but you're wondering why there's a dipstick tube (with no dipstick) in the timing chain cover, correct ?

Bronc76

Reaction score
Bill- I'm not disputing what youre saying about location of tube, but my 76 tube is in the pan. (original owners, so i know it has original motor and tranny). my question is could it be possible that the dipstick tube could have been in different locations even same era? maybe different for passenger cars and trucks?

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Yup, sure could be. There are also variations in location from passenger cars to trucks. I don't have the exact years & applications handy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I know the earlier car 302's used the timing cover. Now I suppose it's equally possible that somewhere along the line the original engine was rebuilt & the timing cover that was handy just happen to have the dipstick tube in it but it just seemed more likely that someone swapped in a car engine which originally used the timing cover location and going from car to Bronco required the truck oil pan which uses the oil pan for the dipstick.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Check me.,

but all aft. market t-chain covers come with the dipstick tube/hole in them.

More likely the t-chain cover was replaced for some reason...,

So just plug it., & use the orig. side stick.

"...which one should i plug and how do i do this?"

I've cleaned & sanded a bit to rough it up., then mixed up some "JB weld"., waited 'til it's not so runny., then plugged away.

(don't want it running down inside....)

I'm sure there's a number of ways to plug it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

76 MS. bronco

Reaction score
Thank you guys!!!

That is correct. there is no Dipstick in the Timing Cover Tube. Do i cut this tube off and plug it down low or do i just plug the top of the tube. i'd just like to simplify the area and do away with one of the. The dipstick tube in the Oil Pan is leaking so i was thinking about plugging it. Would i use the same Dipstick or is there a special one for the Timing Cover tube?

Thanks again,

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"....is there a special one for the Timing Cover tube?"

Yes.

"The dipstick tube in the Oil Pan is leaking so i was thinking about plugging it."

NO......Clean the area where the tube meets the pan W/carb spray cleaner or Laq. thinner

(use dremmel & wire wheel if necess.)

Dry well, & apply the black silicone over the whole area.

If you ever remove the pan.., then you can remove that assy. & re-build it.

"Do i cut this tube off and plug it down low or do i just plug the top of the tube..?"

Haven't seen a tube on them..., just a hole down low.

Check to see if that tube pulls out....if not....your choice as to the plugging.

Another way is to butter up a short bolt with JB Weld & slip it down the hole.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I ran into this the last time I swapped a 460 into a 78. I used a Lincoln 460 that had a timing cover mounted dipstick tube but the oil pan that came with my kit had a dipstick of it's own. The timing cover had a tube that extended about 5". I took the easy route and just stuck vacuum plug over the tube & secured it with a hose clamp. How anyone else deals with it is a matter of personal preference :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke