Water Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Cack

Reaction score
I have self-diagnosed my 93 with 351 and am pretty sure my water pump is getting ready to take a crap. Has anyone ever changed it out themselves, and how much trouble is it? I hear that it involves things like radiator removal etc. Just wondering,

Bronc76

Reaction score
Drain cooling system first, then disconnect top/bottom hoses, heater hoses, by-pass hoses. remove bolts that hold shroud and remove fan. remove radiator. loosen alternator, p.s. pump, air cond. to remove belts. the pulley should come off now. remove bolts that hold pump from chain cover and remove pump. make sure surface is clean before installing new gasket and assemble in reverse order. take the time to buy new belts and hoses if not sure how old they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B-Cack

B-Cack

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like a twelve pack and three day project. Any suggestions on upgrades while I'm at it? I am also wanting to replace my power steering pump while I'm dorking around in there. It works fine but has that distinct Ford early 90s whine to it.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
You can always upgrade to a high-volume water pump from someone like Flowkooler, Mildoon or Edelbrock:

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

http://www.milodon.com/water-pumps/water-pumps.asp

It's an afternoon job, no big deal but you'll want to keep track of which bolts went where because you'll have 4 or 5 different length bolts once you get them all out.

You might also want to ck the condition of the fan clutch while you have it out, if it's leaking fluid it's on it's way out. Replacement clutch's are pretty cheap and if you don't spend much time fording streams & such you can always go with a direct drive. Upgrading to a flex-fan is another option as well.

If you're in the mood for upgrades & replacing your power steering pump anyways then maybe consider bumping up to a Saginaw pump from an E250. The Saginaw pump is much more robust than the standard Ford pump.

Yardape

Reaction score
a good trick for the water pump bolts, trace the new gasket onto a piece of card board. Punch out the holes, then as you remove the bolts place them in the corresponding hole in the cardboard.

desert4wheeling

Reaction score
My friend and i did his water pump on his 90 bronco with the 351w last summer. It wasnt to bad EXCEPT for there was one bolt we had a **** of a time gettin out. Those bolts are threaded deep into the block. We had to heat it and use one of those sockets with special teeth to get it out! Just my experience anyway.

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
be careful taking the water pump bolts out. i've had a few snap on me and it's not fun when they are stuck in the block. it's really not that bad of a job like everyone is saying, just one of those take your time jobs and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
B-Cack

B-Cack

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I have thought of upgrading to the flex fan and yeah I think I will go with a saginaw pump too. I will have to wait until I get back from Iraq again, then get started on my Bronco again. Thanks

madmax

Reaction score
also if your power steering pump is getting noisy its not much more work to change that while you're doing the water pump

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22