New Style Soft Top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoMo

Reaction score
I have a patent pending for a new type/style Soft Top for Full Size Bronco's

I have done all the work and the CAD drawings etc. I was curious if there was anyone out there who was interesting in helping with this project. I have hit a dead end because I do not have the capital to get the Working prototype build and I need that to get a full patent

I am not looking to scam anyone out of money nor would I ask for any money from anyone. I do want to get this to market and I need a partner or partners to make that happen. I would hate to just sit around and not do anything while someone else starts selling this, that has happend to me before.

Also if any one knows people or places I can go to in order to get this built, or patented that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again Guys, I hope to speak with you all soon.

BroncoMo

Mike G

Reaction score
You say that it is patent pending, that means you have started the process. Why ask for help to where and how to get it patented?

Mike

OP
OP
B

BroncoMo

Reaction score
In order for me to get a full patent, or even get to the point that other companies Like (Besttop or someone like them) will look at it and consider to buy the rights to it they said I need a full patent, and I have been told that I can not get that unless I have a full working prototype..

I would love to be able to just go down and hand in all the schematics and Drawings etc and have that be that. However I have been told I can not do that..

The top companies that I have spoken with will not even see me with out a patent... they say it is protect me and them because they might have something in RD that is the same or close. who knows......

Any suggestions would be great..

Thanks

gatorbronco

Reaction score
I would suggest speaking to a patent lawyer...there's basically two types of patents, depending on what you want to accomplish. You can either patent an exact design which specifies exactly the parts and how they all work, and then no one else can copy that design. Or, you can patent an idea such as a new way the soft-top works that no one else has done before. Either way, a patent lawyer would first help you to decide what corner of the market you're trying to reach. There's no point building an entire prototype if there is only one component which would be patentable.

OP
OP
B

BroncoMo

Reaction score
I would suggest speaking to a patent lawyer...there's basically two types of patents, depending on what you want to accomplish. You can either patent an exact design which specifies exactly the parts and how they all work, and then no one else can copy that design. Or, you can patent an idea such as a new way the soft-top works that no one else has done before. Either way, a patent lawyer would first help you to decide what corner of the market you're trying to reach. There's no point building an entire prototype if there is only one component which would be patentable.
So in essence I can just patent the idea.. with all the drawing and such?? Then after that getting it to market? Is selling the rights to it the best way to go in the short run or making it and selling it myself better, I guess I kind of already know the answer to that one.

I will call an attorney today??? let see how it goes.

As a side note, and not to offend any one, but I can not stand lawyers..... No offense meant

Last edited by a moderator:

gatorbronco

Reaction score
Haha, I don't think you offend anyone when you say you can't stand lawyers. I think patent lawyers are pretty laid back, they're not a bunch of ambulance chasers trying to make a quick buck. They would definitely be the best people to talk to about patenting something. I'm not sure exactly how patenting an idea works, but there's definitely a difference between a patent about how something looks, and how something actually works. They would probably steer you in the right direction regardless.

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
I have done all the work and the CAD drawings etc. I was curious if there was anyone out there who was interesting in helping with this project. I have hit a dead end because I do not have the capital to get the Working prototype build and I need that to get a full patent

I am not looking to scam anyone out of money nor would I ask for any money from anyone. I do want to get this to market and I need a partner or partners to make that happen. I would hate to just sit around and not do anything while someone else starts selling this, that has happend to me before.

Also if any one knows people or places I can go to in order to get this built, or patented that would be greatly appreciated.

BroncoMo
BroncoMo,

If you hit another wall, let us know on BZ. I have a friend that just went through what your starting to go through. He may be able to shed a little bit of light on your situation.

Good luck!

P.S. Put me down for one! 95 Bronc

19Bronco89

Reaction score

BroncoMo
Hows it going with your soft top idea??

shift1313

Reaction score
i agree there are several types of patents. You can patent just the idea.

can you shed any light on what your design is or how it works and how its different from whats available currently. I work as a cad designer/fabricator in transportation research. Not sure how much help i could be (financially) but there may be something i could do to help out.

ps ive dealt with good and bad lawyers so im split:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22