Idle curiousity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has ever come across or tried adapting one of the SD 534 engines. I had a friend call with a question that sent me to the 78 shop manuals looking for an answer and almost *every* time I open that book I have to thumb past, then stop & read the section on the 534. It's like Satan calling to me. Looking at the specs I can't imaging the thing could rev much above 4K without sending a piston thru the hood but still, it must have truly massive amounts of torque available right off idle. My mind begins wandering and I start to think about just what it might be capable of putting out with a blower or turbo. Hmmm, *twin* turbo maybe ? What could you bore & stroke a 534 to ??? Of course you'd have to be Big Daddy Warbucks to have a custom cam & reciprocating assembly made to fit it but still, rumble up to the head of the trail with one of THOSE between the framerails. Just idle speculation on a Saturday morning as I head out to look at a couple 78's.

Last edited by a moderator:

American Thunder

Reaction score
In the family oil business, we had an old Ford 10 wheel delivery truck with the 534 4bbl. The carb looked HUGE. The whole motor looked HUGE. That truck broke more rear axles than anything else, mainly because my older brother would turn a corner with it when empty and spin the tires all the time. I've thought about dropping(gently!) that motor in a Pickup or Bronco.. ooo baby

What other motor could pull a trailer up a hill in overdrive at an idle?? haha that's exagerating, but not by much.

P.S. Here's one for sale, with your name on it: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/833916-534.html

Apparently, Banks did the turbo for the 534 Seamaster marine apps, so they still offer the turbo kit for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo