Anyone Ever do any towing with there Bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92broncomann

Reaction score
Im just wanting to see what kind of loads other people are pulling and if your over the tow rating can have any adverse effects on your rig??

IM not sure if i want to step up to 3/4 or 1 ton leafs in the rear just yet but is there any other way to stiffen up the rear so shes not so bouncy other than air bags??

I recently towed my dads 94 diesel suburban on a tow dolly which is around 9000lbs + B)

bronc___burb_1.jpg

bronc___burb_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardape

Reaction score
There are various companies that make overload springs. That would do the trick

shift1313

Reaction score
most I have pulled is about 3000lbs + trailer with my 85. Worst trip ever(not because of the bronco) due to a trailer tire blow out, no spare tire or rim and it being sunday in the middle of nowhere! 4hr drive took about 10hrs but the bronco handled it with ease. Only way i knew something was behind me(other than the broken trailer light now flashing white) was the horrible gas mileage. It dropped my gas mileage from about 22 to around 10 or so.

Your bumper isnt looking too happy in that first pic.

that wheel dolly shouldnt have much tongue weight. If you plan on doing a lot of towing a double axle trailer with sliding axle might be a nice investment:)

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
A higher end reese hitch, or draw-tite hitch may be obtained with load equalizer bars, they call them weight distribution hitches. It helps to put the load more equally on both front and rear wheels of the towing vehicle.

66006.jpg

OP
OP

92broncomann

Reaction score
Thanks guys any particular companies i should be looking for Yardape??

Shift1313 How are you running 22mpg?? do you got a strait six?? cuz i run about 10mpg all day long :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

yea ive hung that bumper up on some rocks a time or two, been thinking about picking up a roll pan for it or something.......

yea my grandpa has one of those Broncojoe ill look into that

92BM

88horse

Reaction score
Thanks guys any particular companies i should be looking for Yardape??
Shift1313 How are you running 22mpg?? do you got a strait six?? cuz i run about 10mpg all day long :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

yea ive hung that bumper up on some rocks a time or two, been thinking about picking up a roll pan for it or something.......

yea my grandpa has one of those Broncojoe ill look into that

92BM
22 mpg ? huh howd u manage that?

i got the 6 an i get around 15 highway if im lucky i got a k and n

shift1313

Reaction score
yup straight 6. my f150 with the efi 6 is a little worse than my 85 with the small single barrel carb on it. the efi gets about 15 in town under normal driving. and it gets a little over 20 on the highway with a few hundred pounds in the bed.

The bronco with the 4speed(No OD) did very well on gas. Because of the small carb the revs/power start to die at about 3500. the efi will rev past that.

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
Im just wanting to see what kind of loads other people are pulling and if your over the tow rating can have any adverse effects on your rig??
IM not sure if i want to step up to 3/4 or 1 ton leafs in the rear just yet but is there any other way to stiffen up the rear so shes not so bouncy other than air bags??

I recently towed my dads 94 diesel suburban on a tow dolly which is around 9000lbs + B)
I towed a trailer with my Polaris Ranger Razer and had no problems at all, except even worse gas milage.

American Thunder

Reaction score
yup straight 6. my f150 with the efi 6 is a little worse than my 85 with the small single barrel carb on it. the efi gets about 15 in town under normal driving. and it gets a little over 20 on the highway with a few hundred pounds in the bed.
The bronco with the 4speed(No OD) did very well on gas. Because of the small carb the revs/power start to die at about 3500. the efi will rev past that.

I rebuilt a '95 300 motor, converted it to carb with a '72 intake and stock 1bbl, used the '95 fuely dual exhaust manifolds, a '72 points distributor, swapped in the '95 mazda 5-speed from the F150 parts truck, and my '83 Bronco with the stock 3.55 gears averages 20-22 mpg. I've used it as my daily driver for work for a couple years now.

That 300 pulls a trailer twice as good as the 302 that used to be in the truck. (and the 302 was getting about 10 mpg)

shift1313

Reaction score
I rebuilt a '95 300 motor, converted it to carb with a '72 intake and stock 1bbl, used the '95 fuely dual exhaust manifolds, a '72 points distributor, swapped in the '95 mazda 5-speed from the F150 parts truck, and my '83 Bronco with the stock 3.55 gears averages 20-22 mpg. I've used it as my daily driver for work for a couple years now. That 300 pulls a trailer twice as good as the 302 that used to be in the truck. (and the 302 was getting about 10 mpg)

thats good to know mine isnt alone:) just out of curiosity did you use the 95 head on the 300 after rebuild? ive been curious what the difference was after 87. i know the AIR pipe setup is different.

American Thunder

Reaction score
Yes, I used the entire '95 300, other than f/i setup and distributor. I had to cut a hole in the side of the block where the mechanical fuel pump goes, since they no longer used mechanical pumps in '95. But the bolt holes were already drilled and tapped, so aligning it correctly wasnt an issue. And the '95 cam still has the pump eccentric, too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The '95 head is called a "fast burn" design. Which basically means there's some slight shrouding in the chambers, to help increase the speed at which the mixture burns. That, and the later 300s have 9:1 compression, where the older ones had 8:1. This motor cranks at 175psi.

For this reason, I had a **** of a time getting the mech. and vac timing right, the motor is very sensitive with that head on it. The stock '72 points distributor I used called for a lot more total timing than the '95 300 would permit. It's still not exactly right, but it's close. I think total timing is only 22 degrees. Whereas the old 300s would run 32-36 deg total.

I have serpentine belt with smog pump delete (shorter belt, and a reroute), points distributor, 1bbl carb and intake, 1 wire '95 alternator setup, and dual fuelly exhaust manifolds running into a single 3" with flowmaster. It's a true mutant. And this little motor will pull a tree out of the ground.

300runninginstalled.jpg

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if this actually counts as "towing" but years & years ago as an ignorant & foolish youth I tested the cargo capacity of the 78/79 Broncos. I had a friend with an MG midget & while it ran well enough around town it wasn't quite reliable enough for road trips. We lived in central Mass and wanted to take it up to Hampton Beach, NH. because chicks, after all, love guys in tiny little English convertibles. We took the cap off & the back seat out and by using a set of 12ft 2"x10" planks nailed & screwed one on top of another as ramps we were able to drive the MG up and into the Bronco. The rear wheels sat on the tailgate pretty close to the body & we tied it in using the front seats as anchor points. With the center console out we were able to slide the ramps in under the car and almost all the way up to the firewall so we could unload & reload it up at the beach. Fortunately nothing disastrous occurred and we had a pretty good wkend cruising up & down the boardwalk and got the thing home the same way. I can't really say that having a small convertible in the back seat did anything for the handling. I was running Ground Hawgs on that truck & the tread pattern had a tendency to follow grooves in the highway & having the MG in there with us just made it worse but keeping the speed down around 50 made it manageable. We had tried backing the car in the first time but the wheels wound up further out on the tailgate and I was concerned about the cables breaking and loading it in that way moved most of the car's weight beyond the axle with it's engine out past the rear bumper and entirely on the tailgate. The truck sagged to the point where I only had about an inch & a half of clearance for the rear tires. Loading it in nose-first made a big difference in weight distribution, placing the MG's engine more or less right over the transfer case & moving the tires forward on the tailgate to where they were almost in that body/tailgate groove

bronco410w

Reaction score
has anyone towed anything heavy "like a car.. on a dual axel trailor" with a lift on there bronco?

i got a 6 inch lift and i want to trailor my car on a 2 axel trailor ... will i have any issues?

Broncobill78

Reaction score
It should tow just fine assuming you have a receiver hitch and use a dropped receiver. You don't want to tow from the bumper. You'll also want to be sure you have the largest tranny cooler you can use on there. The combination of large tires, a 2-axle trailer and stock gears will produce a lot of heat in the tranny (you'll be a little better off if you've re-geared but the trailer & tires will still punish the transmission if you don't take precautions).

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitc...ch-receiver.htm

bronco410w

Reaction score
It should tow just fine assuming you have a receiver hitch and use a dropped receiver. You don't want to tow from the bumper. You'll also want to be sure you have the largest tranny cooler you can use on there. The combination of large tires, a 2-axle trailer and stock gears will produce a lot of heat in the tranny (you'll be a little better off if you've re-geared but the trailer & tires will still punish the transmission if you don't take precautions).
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitc...ch-receiver.htm

kool man thanks! i belive i have a stock cooler on it... it might run into the rad. idk im gonna look it up... but ill deff. change that out just to be safe! thanks man!

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
does any one know what pound capacity the trailer ball on the bumper is im debating getting a better hitch to pull a pulling truck. Thanks