body lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
so due to budget reasons for now im thinkin of puttin a body lift on my 86 bronco. im stock except 33 ich tires. i messed up my fender and bumper tryin to drive on a car. and my rear bumper onto steep of terain so i need more hight temporarily.

so is it hard to do? im most worried about like brake lines and everything beween the firewall. and bumpes and steering shaft. what do i need to know and whatis everything i need to buy before i try and install it and end op short on parts. i want it to be %100 percent legit. any suggestons on what kit to buy?

Last edited by a moderator:

gatorbronco

Reaction score
i messed up my fender and bumper tryin to drive on a car.
That's an interesting thing to do with a stock bronco!

Anyways, as far as the body lift goes you're going to need a good floor jack (to jack up the body to slide the new bushings in), preferably an impact gun to get the old/rusted bolts out, the new hardware (should come with the kit), and access to a welder or a shop that can weld.

The reason you need a welder is you have to extend the stock shifter linkage to account for the new height of your body. You'll also need to do the same with your 4x4 shifter if it's manual. Steering linkage and brake lines should be OK. Your bumpers will stay exactly where they are on the frame and it ends up looking kind of goofy. You'll need to trim your radiator fan housing also. For the back bumper most people get diamond plating, and in the front you're pretty much sol unless you fabricate some new brackets. I was lucky and didn't have to extend my gas tank filler hose or any electrical wiring, but it may be different with you.

I don't recommend a specific brand, but you shouldn't be paying more than $100-$150 at the most for the lift kit itself. This has been covered extensively before; search the forums and you'll see stuff like:

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14357

If you're going to be running over cars and want to go crazy in your Bronco, a body lift won't do much as it's mostly for looks. You don't get any extra clearance/offroad capabilities except being able to clear bigger tires. See:

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13596

But to each his/her own, so whatever you do make sure you know what you're doing and what you're in for! If you have any other questions about a body lift, let me know.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The only major brand of body lifts is Performance Accessories, here's a link to the 3" kit from JBG:

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-33333_...2-96_bronco.htm

That's all you get, the spacers and longer bolts. You usually have enough length in the stock steering shaft to work with a body lift, but it will put more angle in the rag joint area and cause excessive wear. IN most cases, the manual shift lever for the t-case will hit the body in some modes. you can either cut and re-weld or bend the shifter for clearance. Gator covered the rest. Check the condition of you body mount bushings, since they will need to be replaced if cracked, broken or damaged. They are a PITA to separate, too. JSM84

OP
OP
F

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
yeah i know the body lift is mostly for looks and tires. and for now thats what im going for. just to hold me over till i can afford the lift. and then eventually im switchin to all one ton everything. so for my 4x4 linkage and shift linkage. do they make custom ones for this situation that i can just buy. cause i know they make the steering extention. some kits i have found actually come with it. also some come with the bumper relocation brackets.

so if they dont make the custom likages. what exactly do i need to do? any idea on cost to have it done?

thanks for all the info

OP
OP
F

famousguy_fsas

THE BRONC
Reaction score
so im thinkin now with all this work and fan shroud and body mount bushings. not worth it i think ill just wait till i can afford the actuall suspension lift. the body lift was supposed to be cheap and easy. i think ill wait. thanks everyone

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo