Anybody Add Keyless To Their Bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caryweaver

Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody has added keyless entry to their bronco - Specifically one in the early 80's that is similar to mine...

If so, what brand? Do you have any tips? Tricks?

I didn't find any good information by searching the forum...

Thanks in advance!

cw

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Are you talking about the 80's/90's Ford/Lincoln systems with the rectangular keypad under the door handle ? Seems to me that retrofitting one would be possible but not altogether easy. I'd start with a T-bird or Lincoln donor & remove all the hardware. I'd also be sure to get the appropriate factory manuals for the donor as well. you'd want the body/chassis/electrical manual, the EVTM (electrical & vacuum troubleshooting manual) and the wiring schematics all of which can be found pretty easily on Ebay. Read & study the manuals to identify all the components of the systems, pull them from the donor, walk them over to your bronco & in the famous & comforting words of the Chilton corp "assemble in reverse order". I can't think of any real showstoppers to doing the swap but it IS going to take more than a little time & effort.

Off the top of my head I really don't know if Ford ever offered keyless entry as an option on any of the F-trucks or Broncos. I'm sure some of the newer Lincoln trucks have it but the doors won't be a direct swap. IF they did offer it then the swap gets a whole lot easier because you could just score a set of keyless doors as complete assemblies and retro the rest of the parts but most of the hard work will have been done for you at the factory.

Best of luck with it if and if you decide to tackle it please keep us updated, I'm sure a lot of guys will be interested to know what you learn in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
It depends on what engine you have. If it is EFI you should be able to add one. If it is a Carbed engine then forget it. Most Ford carbed engines require a little bit of baby sitting to get started and then for a few seconds after especially in the winter.

My 351 might start with a remote starter in the Summer, but in the Winter it requires a couple shots of gas before turning it over and then on real cold days it needs a little help until it runs for a few seconds. That is pretty much characteristic of Ford carbed engines. Since those cold days are the ones that remote start would be nice it isn't worth the effort.

Good luck,

:)>-

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Whoops, my bad. Were we talking about keyless entry or remote start ? If it's remote start I've gotta agree with Fred in that it's probably a wasted effort on a carb'd engine particularly if you're up North or in the Mid-West. Regarding my earlier comments about keyless entry I also meant to mention that if it's got power locks then going with an aftermarket kit with a keychain remote is probably the easiest way to go, I just got off on a tangent there thinking about the original factory keyless entry systems with the 0-9 keypad on the door.

Last edited by a moderator:

stusainte

Reaction score
I have a 95 w remote start/keyless entry and i agree with seabronc the newer models have the electric fuel pump with when the egnition is turned on it pumps fuel to the throtle body with a carbed motor you need tu manually get fuel to the carb (I believe it could be more trouble than its worth ) Id first check with your local dealer or a shop that installs remote systems But its great for the winters here in Mass.

Seabronc

Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROTFL I think I must have answered some other post here :lol: :lol:

Now that I go back and look at the original post, I thought I was answering one on remote start. I swear that is what I thought I read, honest :)) :))

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I bought a keyless system for my Beast a while ago but have since disconnected it... It seems to give constant power to the lock actuators and burns them out.

The system was bought on eBay. Maybe something simple to correct, maybe wired wrong I don't know I just haven't had the ambition to figure it out.

Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo