new bronco owner having trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popeye

Reaction score
i've always wanted a bronco and recently i went out and boutght one. a 1986 fullsize with the fuel injected 302. a good looking truck that i got at a **** of a deal. i just want to fix the truck up hopefully restoring it to its original condition one day. anyway, i do have some problems that i can't figure out and was hoping someone on here might could lend me a hand.

when i bought the truck the starter was staying engaged after i cranked it but i could wiggle the key in the ignition and it would quit. initially i replaced the solenoid, then i wound up replacing the starter and during the process of trying to figure out this problem i realized the alternator was no good either so i went ahead and replaced it alsoi also put a new battery in the truck just for good measure. after doing all this, nothing changed. then a couple of weeks later it got to where wiggling the key in the ignition wasn't working anymore and the starter would not kick out. so i went on by popping the hood and taking the wire going from the solenoid to the starter off and would just touch the wire to the solenoid with the key on to crank it and then remove the wire.

this is where it gets hairy, i told my dad about the problem and what all i had done to try and fix it but none of it worked. i told him i figure it must be the ignition switch since i have replaced pretty much everything else. of course he disagreed and said he thought i had the solenoid hooked wrong some kind of way and he then decided to pop the hood and take a look for himself. from this point on i have not been able to get the truck to crank. i have no idea what he did or if he did anything at all and some thing just happened out of the blue, but i am getting no fire to my plugs and for the life of me i can't figure out why. when i turn the key over i can smell the fuel beingdumped in by the fuel pump, but i am just not getting any fire. just to be sure i got my wife to get in the truck while i held a screwdriver in one of the spark plug cables, after not being able to see any spark i decided to just bite the bullet and grab the screwdriver and sure enough there was no fire there.

if anyone co0uld help me out at all i would appreciate it greatly as i don't even really know where to start looking. also, if you know of any reason the starter might be hanging other than the ignition switch please let me know so i can check that out too if i ever get the truck to crank again.

thanks for any replies.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Well your thought about the ign switch is almost right on... It sounds like the switch on the steering column under the dash is bad. Sounds like that switch was starting to go when you could "wiggle" the key and progressively got worse as time went on to the point you are at now. I'd say replace that switch and hook up the relay again and it should be fine.

I know someone here has an electrical manual and will post up the circuit information for you when they read this...

Good luck and welcome.gif to the Zone!

Darrin

terprugr

Reaction score
Bro,

You wiggled the key to make it work but decided to start replacing parts 5 feet away under the hood? Yes, you need to tear into the steering column. It could be a couple of different things in there. However, it may be that the steering column is something a little above your skill level and could be a safety issue as such. You could end up creating some serious problems for yourself. If it is just the ignition switch itself (where you put the key in), that's easy enough. But if it is the lever between that and the shaft that parallels the column, you really have to break that thing down. Please have someone who knows what they are doing help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardape

Reaction score
Bro,
You wiggled the key to make it work but decided to start replacing parts 5 feet away under the hood? Yes, you need to tear into the steering column. It could be a couple of different things in there. However, it may be that the steering column is something a little above your skill level and could be a safety issue as such. You could end up creating some serious problems for yourself. If it is just the ignition switch itself (where you put the key in), that's easy enough. But if it is the lever between that and the shaft that parallels the column, you really have to break that thing down. Please have someone who knows what they are doing help you out.
Where I come from we call the place (where you put the key in) the ignition cylinder. The actual ignition switch is on the steering column you know that thing at the end of "shaft" that parallels the column. It is super easy to change and requires no special skill level.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Most likely the ignition switch on the column under the dash. It could be as simple as adjusting the switch. The procedure is posted in the How To section of the forum http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7243. My second thought is that the return spring in the switch is broken and if so you need to replace the switch.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

popeye

Reaction score
thanks for the info. do you think this is also why i am not getting any fire or just why the starter is staying engaged.

i was thinking i would just put a push button start in it for the time being, but if this is also why its not firing then i'll just have to go ahead and replace the switch.

shift1313

Reaction score
there are a lot of things wired into the switch mounted on the steering column.

Pull the trim pieces(two philips head screws) from below your steering column. then there are two or four(cant remember) larger bolts holding the column up. Undo these and lay the column down on the drivers seat. You will see the switch there.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
thanks for the info. do you think this is also why i am not getting any fire or just why the starter is staying engaged.
i was thinking i would just put a push button start in it for the time being, but if this is also why its not firing then i'll just have to go ahead and replace the switch.

I would say the switch is most likely your problem...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke