Looking to install a quick release steering wheel..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Ben

Reaction score
So I'm ramping up the restoration of my bronco this year as since i've bought her i haven't given her much attention or put much work into her other than the stereo installation and a new aftermarket fender to replace the rusted one.

My main concern however, is that i know alot of SUV's get stolen yearly for imports and replacement parts and I really want to do as much possible to disuade/prevent theft. Since my bronco is a 1980 baby, she's not exactly full of electronics or wiring, and has few places i could run or hide wires for a standard alarm system, though i will more than likely have a custom system installed with a GPS if i can find a good way to do it. That is more for the event that it actually gets stolen. Anyway.. I figure one of the best ways to disuade theft of the truck are mechanical things like quick release steering.

About the only thing i've found so far is this:

http://www.tekniqauto.com/US/snapoff/snapoff.htm

But, apparently it only works on certain hubs. So my question is as follows, what type of steering hub is on a 1980 bronco?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

they do have a phone # to ask about your Q;

If you are going to purchase a TEKNIQ Snap-Off System or steering wheel, you will need a TEKNIQ hub kit specific to your make and model of car. We stock hub kits to fit just about everything, but please check with us by email at [email protected] or phone at (780) 434-1222 to make sure that we have a hub to fit your particular car before ordering.

&

Parts-Break-Out Diagram in 80-91 Tilt Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net should be same as far as da Hub is concerned.

gatorbronco

Reaction score
My anti-theft system is wiring my fuel pump to a switch that isn't in plain view...I switch it off when I park the truck, and if someone happens to get it started they'll make it about 100 feet. Not having a steering wheel would definitely be a great way to dissuade theft..I doubt anyone is looking for a fuel pump switch when they steal a truck, and no steering wheel would definitely stick out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I had a Grant removeable steering wheel on a 79 Blazer, might look into them, too. JSM84

OP
OP
B

Big Ben

Reaction score
I thought about other ways to **** the starter and stuff with hidden switches and things as well. It's hard to do electic killswitches though since there aren't many electronics in the old 1980 bronco to begin with.

I also have to make sure the quick release on the steering wheel is street legal as well. Since this is not my racer or rock crawler but my daily driver.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sf66