C6 kickdown rod linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Currently working on the Holley Truck Avenger carb on my 460 in the 84 Bronco after replacing the blown-up 351W. Looking for a diagram or good pic of how the C6 tranny kickdown rod linkage hooks up to the carb, as well as down at the other end. The C6 came out of the same 88 F-350 as the 460 motor, so it had a kickdown cable. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

gatorbronco

Reaction score
JSM84,

I have an Edelbrock 750 on top of a 351W, with a c6. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if you think they'd be helpful.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
thanks, gator, and yes they would help. Another member is looking for the EDL carb pics. JSM84

vincendebbie

vincendebbie
Reaction score
thanks, gator, and yes they would help. Another member is looking for the EDL carb pics. JSM84
JSM84, I have an aftermarket linkage set up on mine. It goes from the bottom pull point on the Edelbrock carb down to the shifter linkage center pin. I can try to get you a pic tomorrow before the sun goes down. By the way, I fired it up tonight. Sounds great. --Vince

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo my friend!

Some info & specs... We have a bad ISP today here... I keep getting freezes, so I have to save URL fast and hope to switch Browser Windows before I et frozen,, again.

Shift Linkage Adjustment

Source: by Chilton via autozone.com

scroll down to;

THROTTLE KICKDOWN LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT

Move the carburetor throttle linkage to the wide open position.

Insert a 0.060 in. thick spacer between the throttle lever and the kickdown adjusting *****.

Rotate the transmission kickdown lever until the lever engages the transmission internal stop. Do not use the kickdown rod to turn the transmission lever.

Turn the adjusting ***** until it contacts the 0.060 in. spacer.

Remove the spacer.

--

and

AOD Transmission With Carbureted Fuel System

ADJUSTMENT AT THE CARBURETOR

The TV control linkage may be adjusted at the carburetor using the following procedure:

Check that engine idle speed is set at the specification

read more other stuff

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Thanks, M. I looked that up on AutoZone after searching your website, but it doesn't show how the kickdown linkage is attached, just how to adjust it. JSM84

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Thanks, gator!!! looks like I'm missing that return spring by the carb. And the k-rod comes out about 1" forward of that tranny lever, so it looks like I'll have to modify one or the other. JSM84

J&SBroncolvrs

Reaction score
IMG_1573.jpg

Here's the side of the transmission showing the kickdown and the shift linkage.

IMG_1572.jpg

Here's the kickdown rod coming from above.

IMG_1574.jpg

Connected across to the transmission here.

IMG_1575.jpg

To the kickdown linkage here.

IMG_1576.jpg

Here is where it connects to the carb. On an Eddelbrock it is a seperate kit that you must buy, not sure about a Holley.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
OK, Yardape, that's what I have on my holley TA at the carb, so that's all good. hopefully the EDL carb pics will help. I looked at the 79 F-150 this weekend, with the EDL 1406 and C6, but the kickdown isn't even hooked up at the carb. I was able to modify the link bar on the tranny, by the neutral safety switch, to fit the kicdown rod by welding on an extension piece and some creative bending. The physics aren't quite right, yet, since the rod doesn't kick straight down like it's supposed to. Gonna need some adjustment, JSM84

DeuceandaHalf

Reaction score
Lokar makes the bracket to attach the linkage. i had the same problem on my mercs AOD

I was seriously hoping the c6 was ******* vacuum modulated.

ugh..

billy-buck

Reaction score
Little off topic but what's teh little plastic dohickey on the kickdown stud??

IMG_1573.jpg