mufflers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
i am looking for a muffler that will sound nice and deep and not like a rice burner. i have a 1996 ford bronco with a 351. i am intrested in all combinations of muffler and placment. i was leaning towards a flowmaster or heart throb and not so much a glass pack.

gatorbronco

Reaction score
You could use a tin can as your muffler and it would NEVER sound like a rice burner :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ! I prefer the flowmaster 40 series, but it all depends on how loud you want it. Typically the younger you are the lower number series of flowmaster you use...

OP
OP
H

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
haha thanks for the reply i was thinking a 40 series but it seemed a little short compared to the muffler that is on it. does size really matter with these mufflers?

vincendebbie

vincendebbie
Reaction score
haha thanks for the reply i was thinking a 40 series but it seemed a little short compared to the muffler that is on it. does size really matter with these mufflers?

I am running shorty headers with glass packs, Thrush. It sounds mean as all get out, but I am going to change and go with the 20series Flowmaster. It gives a good clean LOUD sound. Not in my teens anymore but still enjoy pulling up to the ole' rice burners with the side turnouts and filling the car with a little exhaust and noise. Oh did I also mention that I am running a carb on mine with no emissions. Take a look at my signature. Good luck with the muffler hunting. --Vince

OP
OP
H

hammer down bronco

Reaction score
yea im racking my brain trying to figure somthing out im not sure if i want to split my exhaust for dual mufflers or try to find one big one. i like the blowing exhaust at rice burners! my buddy has a 12v cummins and hes all about that. im also gonna get a hold of the exhaust shop near me to get a price on a dual setup. thank you for your reply

michibronc

Reaction score
yea im racking my brain trying to figure somthing out im not sure if i want to split my exhaust for dual mufflers or try to find one big one. i like the blowing exhaust at rice burners! my buddy has a 12v cummins and hes all about that. im also gonna get a hold of the exhaust shop near me to get a price on a dual setup. thank you for your reply
Flowmaster 40 on my 96 - sounds great. I had the shop run all new custom bent pipe from the cat back and they did a good job of keeping it up and out of the way - my tailpipe exits much closer to the body now so it's not hanging around getting kicked around when trail riding.

If you're thinking about dual exhaust, I don't think it will do much good for you if you just want to split the tailpipe after the cat. It may sound better from both sides, but you'll need to do true dual exhaust to get the real benefit in terms of power and torque. (This has been my experience with trucks in general). You may as well save your money and put it towards something else.

Good luck - nothing better than turning the key after a new exhaust has been installed!

sumcirene

Reaction score
Rule of thumb on Flowmasters lower series such as 20 has less baffels thats why it's deeper sound the higher series such as 80 has more baffels so you get that popping sound (rice burner)sound when you stand on it. Hope this helps.

I must also say if puting headers on get a good person that really knows how to bend pipe and put true duels on without converts of course,and always say its for show or off-road.

walnuts75

Reaction score
Just dont go with a cherry bomb turbo muffler! Its too quiet!!

Krafty

Reaction score
Cherry bomb glass packs,(duals) or I like the magna flow mufflers I have them on my 429 car, they aren't stupidly noisy at idle but they are mean when you open them up, I also run 2 3/4" pipe true dual.

Grey2003

Reaction score
I had a crazy thought and was thinking about replacing the cat-back on my '03 Lightning with a Bassani and using the Lightning muffler on the Bronco. On the L it's not loud, just nice a throaty and there is no drone. Dont' know how to get the two in two out to work good though without going headers and true duals. So yeah it's a crazy thought.

stusainte

Reaction score
I had the flowmaster 40s on my 95 then switched to thrush turbos duelled out infront of the rear tires very nice rummble until you open her up then sounds really mean

BUBBAS 666

Reaction score
Gotta say... I love my 40 series...

Sounds nice and real loud and throaty in the truck, but I let my friend do a couple of donuts in a field yesterday and couldn't believe how loud it was!

Nice and deep, while being throaty and LOUD!

I'd also opt for headers... It'll add so much more sound and gives you that little extra boost in off the line acceleration than just doing the exhaust/muffler.

My setup...

Long tube headers

True dual exhaust to two Flowmaster 40 series dumped before the axle.

No cats.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke