My bronco does has poor acceleration and poor shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueducky1801

Reaction score
I have a bronco 95 with 5.8 L EFI 4X4. My father used to own it and it ran perfectly fine. he was always able to do more than 100 on the highway with it. Well right before it got passed to me. It started having problems. She does not accelerate like she used to. The highest speed i can get out of her is about 50 65 ( AND THATS PUSHING IT!) And when i try to go fast the transmission does not shift when its supposed to ( auto e40d). It kinda hovers at 3,000 to 3,5000 and stays there untill i relax on the gas a bit, then it shifts to the next gear.

I recently replcaced the egr pipe becuase it was cracked. Along with that i also put a new valve and gasket. The sensor is still the same because my father claims he replaced it recently. I still get insufficient egr codes from the computer... But now they seem to go away and come back as they please when im driving. Most of the time the code is not present any more. IF i drive the truck like easy and slow then it goes ok. it shifts alright. but its to slow still.

Any one have any idea what might be happening?

Email: [email protected]

Krafty

Reaction score
if it was the engine getting tired then you wouldn't have the shift problem, when you are on the highway what is it doing when it won't go over 50mph? is the engine revving out or bogging down?

I had a 69 c6 on a 429 that would float the revs above normal before shifting like you said, unless I eased up on it. Then my car would rev higher than normal but still go on initial launch.

What it was was the stator pump in the torque converter wasn't building up the pressure required to shift gears on hard acceleration. Also the weak launches and hard acceleration was caused by fluid getting past the seals that were damaged by material from the stator pump failure. This caused the forward clutches to slip on hard acceleration or load. much like your highway problem. By the end of its life I only had reverse to get it to my shop and tear it apart. by that time it had suffered a complete failure needing a complete rebuild, seals, clutches, kickdown band, bearings, all because of the torque converter that was going. I f I had caught the problem quick enough then my transmission would not still be in the shop.

So be that a warning to you. it cost me 450 for the rebuild kit and 350 for the torque converter, cause it has to handle 400hp +, and the shop fee was 700 for the rebuild, 200 again when my pump went on my new converter (due to a poor instillation by me ), to just clean it up.

so main thing is get someone qualified to tear it apart and clean it to see if you need the whole works, or if you only need a new converter.

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
mine is doing almost this exact same thing... i'm going to change out the tps soon and if that doesent work i'll take it to a shop. it kinda takes the fun out of driving the truck .

94 roncowild

So I had the same issue.  Turns out I had a few cracked vacuum lines. Went through the whole engine replacing lines.  Then cleaned the maf, air sensor and the throttle body.  Now it runs like a top.  That's on a 94

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22