Cruise Control Locked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dagger_91Beast

Reaction score
Had some exciting hunting last weekend. Took the beast out North of Dallas to go duck hunting. She's hard to get up to 70 due to tires and gears, but got there and hit cruise. Worked fine till I came off the highway and it wouldn't come out of cruise. Crushed the breaks to turn onto a side street with the engine screaming. Had to slam it into park to turn off the ignition. Turned it on

Seabronc

Reaction score
Basically it works off vacuum. When you press the brake pedal, it is supposed to dump the vacuum to the control. You will see a fairly large vacuum line going through the fire wall to the mechanical dump switch on the brake pedal. If that switch some how came off it's mount hitting the brake would not release the control. You should have been able to do it by hitting the off button on the steering column. Off the top of my head, I don't think you have the redundant brake pressure switch input to the computer that also shuts off the cruise control, I think that didn't make the scene till 93.

It is possible that the servo is just stuck internally. Check the vacuum dump system first, then try hooking it back to the throttle to see if it works.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
D

Dagger_91Beast

Reaction score
Thanks Seabronc,

Ended up being a frayed cable linkage. Just got stuck in the housing. Replaced the cable and back to good.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Thanks for the report, it may help someone else in the future. It is not uncommon for people to forget to give a report on what the problem solution was, so thanks again.

Good luck,

:)>-