No oil pressure, in my 88' 302

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ike

Reaction score
I have a feeling i may know the answer to this question but, On my 88' 302 with 247 800km on it, i have no oil pressure at idle, when the motor is making 1500rpm or so i have oil pressure, my guess is that the motor is worn and needs a rebuild,

In the coming week i am installing a mechanical gauge as a back up to the electronic dash one, i'm considering a swap for a 351 if i can find one at a good price but for now any suggestions on keeping the old girl alive ?

I had a millwright suggest running 10w30 with extra 30w and Lucas stabilizer, any other suggestions?

thanks

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, try to run the thickest viscoswity oil you can for your climate, and use the Lucas. When you change the oil and filter, cut the old filter open and look for metal. Indicates worn main bearings, which is most likely cause of low oil pressure. the other option would be to drop the oil pan, remove and clean the pump pick-up tube, and replace the pump. Might buy you a few days to a few months before needing a rebuild. you'll know when that time comes by the terrible, loud knock from the bottom end. JSM84

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yup! Like Justshootme84 said use the heaviest oil you can. I have been nursing mine along for several years not using 10W40 in the Winter with a quart or two of Lukas and in the Summer I use 20W50 plus Lukas. Also use a good oil filter like a Baldwin or Mobil 1, cheap ones can easily go into bypass and give and at that point you have no filtering. I am doing that because the engine runs strong with the exception of the oil pressure issue, but since going for the heavier oil plus Lukas I have had never had an issue with pressure. As a rule of thumb 10 lbs. per 1000 RPM is fine. Most likely you are getting some pressure in spite of the fact that the gauge does not show pressure, which could also be a bad sender unit. Running a wet gauge is a great idea, which is the only way to check your sanity.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Right now since i live in the near north of Canada 10w40 is probably the most i can run as were seeing temperatures down to -25 to -40 on the bad nights, but the wet gauge is coming shortly, if things go the way i want I'll be looking at a 351 to swap in the summer, no replacement for displacement but as long as the old girl is running well, i'll stick with the 302,

thanks eh,

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
An update regarding oil pressure upon installing a mechanical gauge, and heavier oil, the oil pressure is stabilized to some degree but i feel this is just a band-aid fix, so now the debate as to where i want to go with it both engine wise and general build wise.

Seabronc

Reaction score
An update regarding oil pressure upon installing a mechanical gauge, and heavier oil, the oil pressure is stabilized to some degree but i feel this is just a band-aid fix, so now the debate as to where i want to go with it both engine wise and general build wise.
I is definitely a "band aid", but it should give you time to prepare for the next step.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke