Which Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doublea2k8

Reaction score
Hey new to the forum. I just got a 96 bronco 5.8l. Im debating on what kind of exhaust to put on it. I know glasspacks sound good but is it true they restrict flow? Please help. Thanks alot!!

BB33's

Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes you can make i putting on too big of pipe, 2.5 inch pipe from the cat back and a Flowmaster 40 series sounds good and will make better torque than a glasspack. If you want to go a little further remove the pre-cat and replace the main cat with a high flow unit and you're pretty much set. Although states with strict smog like CA <_< wont like the fact you hacked off a cat.

92broncomann

Reaction score
Hey new to the forum. I just got a 96 bronco 5.8l. Im debating on what kind of exhaust to put on it. I know glasspacks sound good but is it true they restrict flow? Please help. Thanks alot!!

Well if your going to buy some glasspacks, in my personal opinion go buy some Dynomax Bullets they are about 6 inchers shorter than a typical glasspack and much louder for about the same price. $45 buck tops each at Jegs or Summit.

I had this on my truck for a while and it was great. however i did not expect that my C-clamp would shake lose and it would fall off on my local highway.... LOL. Be sure to weld or tighten the heck out of your C-clamps when you do your exhaust.

I like the way my truck sounds now without a muffler, i just run open after my cats.

I do agree with BB tho. Keep your stock 2.5" pipes and some magnaflow/flowmaster/thrush mufflers make some good rumbley, lol

BUBBAS 666

Reaction score
If you want performance and sound, go with some good headers and duals with a good set of mufflers like my 40 series Flowmasters. It added so much throttle response and overall passing power, it's almost ridiculous. The torque off the red light is also so much better.

Think about it... Glass packs are skinny, tubes... so they do have restriction. Compare them to a good quality muffler and they get blown out of the water. Personally, I really don't like glass packs, just because they don't do anything to enhance the performance aspect. Glass packs don't have any resonance, and that's what creates that rumble that so many are after.

My header/muffler combination makes for a really loud truck!

19Bronco93

Reaction score
myself, i have had several exhaust systems in search of that one perfect one. i went from stock to a y pipe with a magnaflow muffler. wasnt too impressed. next i invested some money in headers, and true duals. the pipes never touch, but its a pain in a$$ to run. i ran high flow cats backed right to some flowtech raptor mufflers. still wasnt too impressed, although powerwise and agressiveness, your bronco will be on the top of the rankings. i got bored with the mufflers, as i still thought it was too quiet and not quite the sound i wanted. i cut all my exhaust off and rehung the cats. i ran around with nothing but cats, not even pipe behind the cats, but that got old after a while because it gave it no tone. it sounded the same idle as it did flooring it. within the past month, i have broke down and welded up pipes again, but with no muffler. i was extremely impressed with the results. i have a very noticeable throaty rumble at idle, and when accelerating, at 2500 rpms, she throws a cracking fit and sounds like someone is lighting off black cats in my tail pipes. its loud, obnoxious, scares people, sets off car alarms, and best of all, its a head turner.

ps... if you are going to get headers, skip going cheap on paper gaskets and invest in the thirty dollars for the "lifetime" aluminum gaskets. they seal sooo much better and you'll probably never have to replace them

BUBBAS 666

Reaction score
i have a very noticeable throaty rumble at idle, and when accelerating, at 2500 rpms, she throws a cracking fit and sounds like someone is lighting off black cats in my tail pipes. its loud, obnoxious, scares people, sets off car alarms, and best of all, its a head turner.
Ha ha ha... that sounds exactly like mine!

I've set off three this week.

Each time I roll away with a huge grin on my face lol.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar