what is best engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akbogger907

Reaction score
I am buying a 79 bronco. i have no idea what kind of engine to put in it. i want a good sound. i will be doing a bit of mud bogging and trail riding, but i will use it for an every day driver too. any suggestions??? p.s. i was lean towards a 351 windser. that was just a guess please help.

Edited to remove the font information so that this is easier to read. Seabronc

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . Good luck on your choice of engines. If you want a real work horse use an I6. If you can find a good 351M you might have an easier time dropping that in instead of a 351W since the bell housing in your truck is probably matched up to the larger M block.

Good luck,

:)>-

I edited your post since it was difficult to read. Even though the options are there to put in fancy fonts and colors, the default set works best. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
hey ak, you might consider a 460 cid motor, too. the tranny bellhousing shares the same bolt pattern for the 429/460 as does the stock 351M. Much better for boggin' with oversize tires, JSM84

Leadsled

Reaction score
hey ak, you might consider a 460 cid motor, too. the tranny bellhousing shares the same bolt pattern for the 429/460 as does the stock 351M. Much better for boggin' with oversize tires, JSM84

Are you saying that the 429, 460, 351m, and 400 all have the same bolt pattern for the tranny? I know that the 429 and 460 are the same block.

BB33's

Reaction score
Yeah, go with JSM's comment and do a 460. They are torque monsters and drop right in. With a few simple mods like a aftermarket intake and 4 barrel carb, headers and a pre emmissions timing chain set they're good for at least 380 horses.

Leadsled

Reaction score
Yeah, go with JSM's comment and do a 460. They are torque monsters and drop right in. With a few simple mods like a aftermarket intake and 4 barrel carb, headers and a pre emmissions timing chain set they're good for at least 380 horses.

And with just a little more work and a little bit more money you can make a 460 put out around 500-550 on pump gas. Match your cam and intake with a little head work and you can make some serious power from a 460.

78 blue beast

Reaction score
I've read that the 351m/400 are taller blocks. I found it odd as well that you can just mount the big block engines in and use the same tranny bellhousing, but its true you can. I think you might have to get the new motor mounts and maybe a few other odds and ends. I also read that you can make the 351m compatible to the 460, with a lot less weight. Ovious thats agianst a stock 460. Light bogging with 35s or so you should be fine with the 351. If you want to spin lager tires and you like being able to burn the lugs off a new set of meats then go for the 460.

Bronco_Willis

Reaction score
I think the first question, since all of us "guys" are on the power trip...what are you looking to get out of a new engine? is it HP? Torque?

78 blue beast

Reaction score
I would go with the L&L or advanced adapter mounts. I've been doing some research on dropping the 460 in my 78 bronco. I've got the complete engine, just need to get mounts, bigger radiator, and was thinking of going with a header system. As for if the F mounts will fit I have no clue.

muddybronco79

Reaction score
the 400 is a real torqy motor off the start. i have one in my truck and have no problems with the power i get playin in the mud. and i've read up on a forum about swapping motors, the 460 is exactly 165lbs heavier than the 400. and you have to get narrow manifolds, lift it to have the clearance for the oil pan, motor mounts, bigger radiator, etc. a 400 is what you want. for a little money you can make alot of power

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I am buying a 79 bronco. i have no idea what kind of engine to put in it. i want a good sound. i will be doing a bit of mud bogging and trail riding, but i will use it for an every day driver too. any suggestions??? p.s. i was lean towards a 351 windser. that was just a guess please help.
Edited to remove the font information so that this is easier to read. Seabronc
Jeez, that's kinda like asking who's the most beautiful actress or supermodel :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How much $$$ do you have ?

American Thunder

Reaction score
I swapped in a rebuilt '95 300 inline(converted to carb) with a '95 5-speed transmission into my '83 Bronco with 3.55 gears, and it's got nice torque. I use it as my daily driver, and it's getting 20-22 mpg, 350 miles a week. I'm actually scrapping out the '83, due to severe body rust, and I like the setup so much that I'm swapping the entire drivetrain(hydraulic clutch setup and all) into my '78.

The only way to beat a 300 for fuel mileage and longevity is by dropping in a 5.9 Cummins.

J&SBroncolvrs

Reaction score
A '78 is an awful lot heavier than an '83, The general concensus is that a 300 is not a good swap for a '78, it has to work too hard and the mileage gains are lost. On the other hand, I've never tried it and you can build up a 300 quite nicely if you know how so I would be really interested to see how it works out.

American Thunder

Reaction score
A '78 is an awful lot heavier than an '83, The general concensus is that a 300 is not a good swap for a '78, it has to work too hard and the mileage gains are lost. On the other hand, I've never tried it and you can build up a 300 quite nicely if you know how so I would be really interested to see how it works out.
I think the biggest weight difference would be from the '78's cast iron driveline components. The body metal feels heavier(and there's more of it, and less rust.. haha) on the '78, and it probably is, but I figure it's worth only a couple hundred pounds at most. (I hope) My '83 has the heavier 9" already, that I swapped in last year.

I have a truck scale at my shop, now you have me interested in comparing their weights. I will weigh them both and post the results when I'm done. (I also have all kinds of tools, spare parts and junk in the back of the '83 adding extra weight, mostly because the rear window wont move anymore, as the body is settling so bad, it's screwing up the latch switch.)

Even so, on my way to work, I take secondary roads, at 40-50 mph,(my '83 is SCARY at high speeds!) and the 300 makes enough low speed torque to leave it in overdrive the whole time, even on hills. It's making 280-290 ft/lbs at about 1800 rpm. They're amazing truck engines. It will pull a trailer about twice as well as the 302 I used to have in there. (and the 302 was getting about 10 mpg)

And there's always this option, which is very appealing:

http://www.fordcummins.com/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke