Manual Brakes Too Power Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitcherd

Reaction score
I am looking to change over my brake system which is front disc and rear drum but not powered. I have 33 12.50 Super Swamper TSL radials and it does not like to stop. Which power booster do you guys recomend and how involved is the change. The tools and things like that are no problem, but I am just wondering if it is a day or two day job.

P.s.

Does anyone have any idea why a brand new swamper would blow the side wall out on the highway. Do you think that it could have been the heat from the long drive? I drove probably 200 plus night one and only loged about 30 miles the next day before it blew at about 65 mph. These tires are new only a few hundred miles on them. Was just wondering if this is common and if it is I am going to look for a new tire. Just hate to spend $200 a tire and have tem blow out on me.

Darryl

1973 Bronco

351w

33" 12.50 Super Swampers TSL radials

jspurl3

Reaction score
I dont know anything about the brakes but Interco tires (super swampers brand) factory is about an hour from me, so thats all we run around here. I would call the store you got them first if they give you any trouble then call Interco directly 337-334-3814. We have returned a couple of tires one 44 blew off the rim in a mud hole and 2 44's were out of round, and they didnt question us at all. I have had a couple of 35's and never had any trouble. Its usually the biggers ones that end up out of round or with with weak spot. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Darryl..,

1st.., if you haven't already.., do a through check/test of your existing system, to be sure you're not masking a problem with the booster.

I'm suspicious you have a problem there.

Installing a booster is pretty straight forward... go with a stock ford unit, or a hydro boost.

Easily a 1 day job.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
Darryl,

Do what Bully Bob says and make sure the system is working properly before you do anything such as adding vacuum assisted or hydroboost. Once you know you have a good working system then decide on what you want.

Couple of questions for you to help in your decision making though...

#1 do you have power steering?

#2 are you carb'd or fuel injected?

If you have power steering, I would say to just go with hydroboost from the get go. It is (in my opinion, and those are like a$$holes, everyone has one) the better set up over the vacuum setup. You can check out the writeup I did on installing a hydroboost system here. The HB route is pretty straight forward and can be done cheaper than an OEM vacuum setup IF you use junkyard parts. If you go through a vendor, then the cheaper route is factory.

The other thing, if you have an EFI set up, it is easier to do HB rather than vacuum.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke