1990 5.8 litre....timing belt or chain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackflags

Reaction score
guys, a 1990 xlt 5.8 ltr. A timing chain or belt? How many miles u guys getting out of em? Mine has 130k, unsure about a change? Hardly any motor noise, watcha think? How much should I spend and does it have a belt or chain?

Roadkill

Reaction score
It has a chain, and unlike the belts used on most four-bangers, it will normaly last the life of the engine. Most car makers recomend changing a timing belt at X number of miles (usually 100,00 or more) but that is only to prevent haveing the belt break while the engine is running. Your chain does not have this problem. If your not having timeing issues and its not "making noise" then it's fine. Save your money for something that actually needs to be replaced. (will happen soon enough on an 18 year old truck) :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

BTW, my 5.8 has over 200,000 miles and the chain is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardape

Reaction score
There are many variables, my 84 351w has 100,000 miles I pulled the timing chain cover to replace the front seal and upon inspection the timing chain was very stretched, could almost take the chain off the gears without undoing the cam bolt, If you do replace it spend the extra couple bucks and get the double roller. They last alot longer than the single. One way to check slop is remove the dizz cap so you can see the rotor, turn the engine over by hand so the you see the rotor move, then turn it back the other way. If the rotor turns the opposite direction immediatly then it should be fine, if it has slop then farther inspection is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke