ford lightning engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy_named_sue

Reaction score
has anyone ever stuffed a lightning engine in a bronco? how'd it work out?

just wonderin'

Ogeechee 4x4

Reaction score
I used to know a guy down in Florida that has a warmed-over lightning engine in his '93 Bronco

030 over 351 Lightning block10:1 Speed Pro forged pistons

windsor jr heads

M-6250-X303 cam

GT40 lower intake

Cobra upper intake

Snow Performance Methanol Injection

70 mmThrottebody

75 mm Pro M MAF

A9L

Tweecer RT

Crane hi-6 ignition

Summit shorty headers
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/3652

BB33's

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack but I don't wanna start another topic about something that is already on the site. I was wondering where I could get a lighting intake manifold? The 5.8L naturally aspirated version not the 'charged one. Also any one know the specs on that motor ? how's it make 240 hp while my 5.8 makes only 210?

I am asking because I am starting the Build of a new motor for my '95. I'm going very mild, .30 over on the bottom, Forged Rods and pistons, a hydralic roller RV cam. Stock heads with larger valves and a porting job along with crane stamped roller rockers. On the top I want it to look like a stock lighting motor. I just plan on porting the intake as well and using a larger throttle body and mass air sensor. I talked to my dyno shop and they said they can "burn" a custom tune into my stock computer so all good there. I have a new MSD ignition I installed 3 months ago so its going on there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

boy_named_sue

Reaction score
Its just an engine.

very good! in fact, it IS an engine! i KNEW you guys would have all the answers on this board.

beyond merely identifying it's categorical identification, i was really more curious if anyone had actually put this supercharged workhorse in their broncos, or even if it's a good idea. most of my tinkerings and knowledge is GM-based, so i really don't know anything about the lightning motors, except that they're built up and some include a blower. a brief google search informed me that they are 5.4L, and are capable of making some pretty serious horsepower. i mean, it would seem logical to me that someone out there's got the ingenuity to take one of ford's coolest trucks (da bronco), and combine it with an already built up powerhouse. or maybe it's cheaper to just build up your 5.8? any comparison to gm's LSx motors? maybe the lightning motors aren't worth the hype?? maybe they're the coolest thing man has invented since powered flight??

i mean, if ya'll don't wanna talk about it, that's cool. i'm just curious and thought perhaps i could pick up a little knowledge along the way.

peace

Yardape

Reaction score
The 1st generation lightning was just a 5.8 liter, naturally aspirated engine with a small amount of extra gitty up. I asked what you were refering to because there are many variables. The gen 1 will fit with no modification. Now the 2nd gen lightning with the supercharged 5.4 is a whole new animal. It has 380 horse at the wheels. Any swap is possible if you have the cash but the 5.4 swap is pretty intensive and would take someone that really knows what they are doing. I have many swaps in mind that I would love to try, like a supercharged V10 to name one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo