Double Cardan Joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92bronco_in_progress

Yeah its a 92 bronco
Reaction score
someone told me that the Double Cardan Joint can go bad.....now this is the first time iver ever heard of this, so of course im gonna pick everyones brain here......can it go bad? and if it ever does what do i have to get to fix it? and where could i possibly find it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogeechee 4x4

Reaction score
Yes, they do wear out.

You can buy the u-joints at most any parts store. I've ordered the ball and spring from NAPA before, but I guess that any store could order it for you. I doubt anyone keeps them in stock.

Then there's the Spicer dealers. Better quality products, and only marginally more $$. I run the Neapco Brute Force u-joints in mine and they're supposedly "better" than a standard house-brand joint but not as good as a Spicer.

oldtimer

Reaction score
go to Bronco grave yard .com they got the oe part good price and brute makes a good u-joint ive never put a spicer u joint in before but eery thing wears out .

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
i had to get mine completely rebuilt after my lift

the warning sign was that i had serious vibrations after the lift, tried adjusting the pinion angle, didn't work, took the shaft in and the ball was toast

Yardape

Reaction score
It is the joint closest to your Tcase on your rear driveshaft, has 2 ujoints in a cast housing. No question is a dumb question if you dont know the answer.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
While it's usually the u-jonits that go bad, sometimes the ball and socket portion will go out. There's a small ball bearing and spring seated inside a cup, which can also wear out as it did on my 84 driveshaft. You can buy a repair kit to replace the ball and spring, as well as the new u-joints. JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke