TTB Dual shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
On the dual shock setup, does the front lower shock mounting stud ***** out or is that a press fit?

Pulling the shocks off for my lift install I managed to snap that stud :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If I have to, could I get away with welding a nut to that bracket and threading a grade 8 bolt to mount the shock?

Thanks

Darrin

BB33's

Reaction score
I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me but in the dual shock setups the front shock is a "backup" shock and only does a small portion of the dampening as the rear is the primary shock and takes the full force. Thats why these are "heavy duty" setups because when towing or mounting a plow the primary shock can be stressed with the weight so the secondary (front) shock backs it up.

That was a little off topic. Basically what I'm trying to say is since it's a backup shock and doesn't have alot of stress on it I think the Grade 8 bolt should work.

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Thanks guys...

I wasn't sure if it was the "Primary" shock.

I'll get to the bolt setup this week...

Thanks again

Darrin

stusainte

Reaction score
Hey ShadowD double check your manual on the quad shock set up I was told that the front shocks are the primary I was having problems with mine after my lift was installed going through front shock bushings like every couple of weeks and was told the front shocks are a larger which I swithched put the larger shock in front and the smaller shocks in back no more bushing problems mines a 95 xlt not sure about other years Good luck

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
Shadow,by the way the ford parts catalog list's them the front shock is the primary...Being the longer of the two and the shorter being secondary..... B)

Roadkill

Reaction score
It's true that the front shock, being the larger of the two, would be considered the primary and simply because of it's larger volume would be more effective in dampening the suspension. But, on F150's and Broncos that don't have the quad shocks, they only have the shorter one that's mounted rear of the axle. Of course, the internals of the single shock could be different from those used in the quad set-up. I don't know if that's the case.

BB33's

Reaction score
Sorry shadow I was pretty sure but not positive is a good thing there are so many people on here to catch a goof like the one I made :blush:

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
Hey BB33 it's just a thing...none of us claim to know it all...that's what questions are for...I've been working here at a Ford dealership and still run across new stuff.... B)

Big_Ford_POS

Reaction score
Regardless, your shock should have came with a new stud, drill a hole and install it like a bolt with the nut behind it. It will be much stronger.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke