Operation Lift Beast is in progress

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Well I started the lift install Saturday and things haven't gone so well...

First problem I ran into was the fact that the passenger side radius arm mount was cracked in 2 spots and rotted bad...

After a closer inspection, I found that the frame has also rotted in 2 spots around the radius arm mount. At this point I am working on removing the body mount so that I can weld a plate to the frame.

I've included pictures for all to see...

I will update this thread as progress continues...

Rotted Radius Arm Mount

IMG_1472.JPG

Bad shocks

IMG_1480.JPG

New spring next to old broken spring

IMG_1479.JPG

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Kinda :lol: I couldn't get a wrench to hold the nut so I ended up using a pry bar to hold them...

Yardape

Reaction score
wow thats nasty. I would patch that and get extended radius arms so that your brackets mount on good solid frame.

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Looks like that was a little over due :lol:
Good luck,

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> >-

Yea just a bit... :lol:

wow thats nasty. I would patch that and get extended radius arms so that your brackets mount on good solid frame.
I'm using 1/4" plate steel to go on to the frame from behind the body mount to in front of the radius arm mount, I have solid frame at those points and I'm adding a 1/4" thick plate to the bottom of the frame welded to the same areas as the sides.

I just got the body mount off the truck so now I can start the clean up of the frame in preps for the new plates.

I'll get some pics after I grab a quick bight to eat :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Well here is the radius arm bracket that came off the truck...

100_0689.JPG

After looking at it I'm thinking this was the clunk I've been hearing lately...

I know it's not a great pic but I have circled the areas that are rotted...

Rot1.jpg

This area is weak...

Rot2.jpg

I have new steel plates that I will be welding to the frame after I mark, cut and drill them out...

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
I see some body rot in the last picture you might want to take care of before you are finished.

:)>-

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Yea the floors are rotted out on both sides. I did a quick repair to the driver's side a couple years ago but I haven't done anything to the pass side yet. I've got a new floor pan for the drivers side that I will most likely put in if I have time then move my repair patches to the pass side for now...

I'm prob going to replace the frame in the next year or two with a custom frame I plan to build from scratch... At that point I'll do all the body work as well...

bronco_girl

Reaction score
Yea the floors are rotted out on both sides. I did a quick repair to the driver's side a couple years ago but I haven't done anything to the pass side yet. I've got a new floor pan for the drivers side that I will most likely put in if I have time then move my repair patches to the pass side for now...
I'm prob going to replace the frame in the next year or two with a custom frame I plan to build from scratch... At that point I'll do all the body work as well...
wow,you've got your work cut out for you.good luck.

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Well I was able to get a little work done today...

I cut, drilled and mounted the new side plate. I still need to weld it in place but it's on there along with the body mount :D

I also still need to clean up the bottom a bit but that will be done tomorrow

100_0703.JPG

100_0704.JPG

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Well I did a little work today, decided to pull the shock / spring mount off to sandblast it but I can't get the damn thing to pop off... I have all 6 rivets cleared but it's stuck. :huh:

I was hoping I could have this done for this weekend but that don't look good right now...

I'll post more pics after I get some more stuff done...

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Yup :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 4 on the face and 2 on the bottom...

I can't get it to pop off from the side and I'm starting to think Ford spot welded the damn thing to the frame before they riveted it to the frame :unsure:

Yardape

Reaction score
Nope, I just removed mine, after I drilled out the rivots I hit it with the sledge. Took 2 or 3 good whacks before it came. Is there any part of the rivot there at all? they will still hold pretty tight after the heads are removed.

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Ok well I've rebolted that bracket to the frame as I've decided the funding wasn't there for new ones at the moment and I need to get this thing back together.

As of right now I have the passenger side put back together and under it's own support, I will be finishing the driver's side today then moving to the back...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno