Hesitation when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
I was trying to think of the reasons the hesitation was happening when I accelerated. I first thought vacuum leak. I dont think that so much anymore. Then I was thinking distributor, which it could be, but I have a good vacuum advance now. Then I got to thinking... fuel pump.

If I am thinking correctly, the fuel pump is a mechanical fixture near the front of the engine, right? If it sat in a barn for about 4 years, would it have a diaphragm in it like the vacuum advance that might have deteriorated and causing such an issue?

JLasvegas

Reaction score
accel pump in carb possibly

do you get any back fire or pop thru the carb?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that there is a diaphragm in a mechanical fuel pump as you discribed. Could it be dry rotted, cracked, and leaking? I don't see why not.

According to Haynes one should get 6 to 8 psi for all except the in line six cylinders

and 5 to 7 for the inline six.

volume (at idle RPM) 1 pint in 20 seconds.

IF the hessitation is just while accellerating, and you fixed the vac advance, then the more likely culpret would be a poorly functioning accellerator pump in your carb.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
already replaced the accel. pump in the carb. Before I got the vacuum advance on the distributor, I had borrowed a timing light and 'timed' it and prior to that it used to backfire bad...

I guess it could still be a distributor/ignition issue.. just exploring possibilities right now.

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
I've got lots of time to sit and think of what could be wrong... facing a back surgery soon to fix a herniated disc... so when I think of something to ask, I ask. Not necessarily meaning I have the time, ability or money to fix it.. and hoping I dont have to sell it to help pay medical bills before I get to at least get it running well enough to have some fun in it... in my mind I dont see a fully restored Bronco, although it would be nice... I just want a dependable knock around rig that if needed could double as a spare vehicle.

JLasvegas

Reaction score
replace the mechanical fuel pump, they are cheap and easy to install, they will also help with any hard start issues if its leaking back into the tank and not supplying enough pressure

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Matt,

Just curious, is it a really significant delay? Like you hear it bog, and then it finally winds up and goes?

Or is it like a single cylinder miss and then it takes off?

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Matt,Just curious, is it a really significant delay? Like you hear it bog, and then it finally winds up and goes?

Or is it like a single cylinder miss and then it takes off?
It bogs, then if you slowly accelerate it will wind up and go. Press the pedal too fast and it will stall completely if the engine isn't already somewhat revved up, like going down the road, even then it is sluggish.

Haven't taken it on too many trips down the road yet. I think I am going to have to replace tie-rod ends and such... its a little loose up front. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Matt,

Do me a favor and try this.

Pull the hose to the vacuum advance, and plug it and see if makes any difference at all.

joe

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Joe, I'll try to do that this weekend if weather permits.

Even though I'm in North Texas near Oklahoma border, I think that little storm thingy in the Gulf that someone nicknamed IKE :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> is gonna dump a lot of rain on us here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Joe,

I tried what you said, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Might have actually made it stall out a little less? Either way, it still stalls out when you first mash the gas.... not always stalling all the way to quit running.. just sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke