Need help removing gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seedpress

Reaction score
Just bought an old semi-restored 1990 Ford Bronco, Eddie Bauer edition. Supposedly it recently had the gas tank replaced. After driving it back into my 4-wheel-drive-access-only homestead, I noticed the tank was leaking at the bottom of the skid plate.

I want to pull the skid plate to inspect the tank, and maybe pull the tank too. My question: is the tank held in place by the eight bolts that hold the skid plate in place, or does the tank have its own bracket? With the skid plate in place, I can't see any brackets on the tank, but maybe they ae just hidden.

I've removed six of the eight nuts holding the skid plate on, but before removing the last two I want to make sure that something else is holding up the tank.

Anyway, if someone has direct experience with this procedure, I'd like to know if I can remove the last two nuts holding the skid plate and drop the plate to inspect the tank, without having the tank drop down.

swampthing

Reaction score
that tank should have 2 straps holding it in place that come off after you remove the skidplate

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
if the tank has been replaced, it may only be held up by the skid plate. Before removing those last two bolts, unbolt the filler hose from the body or the tank. Drive until the tan kis near empty, or you'll have a whole lotta extra weight to deal with. Once you drop the tank a few inches, you need to unplug the wiring to the sending unit/ fuel pump assly. The 8 bolts onthe skid can be a pain to remove, and the nouts will easily strip. JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke