new plus/wires=knocking????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billy Toppless

Reaction score
i put new plugs n wires on my bronco and im hearing wut sounds like a lifter knocking now??

i was driving it and when i gave it gas to get on the interstate i heard this big BANG like something blew out the side of the motor and not its shaking pretty bad

is it just that the plug is messed up?

or is something serious going on now?

sound have just used the old ****** plugs lol

Last edited by a moderator:

bidibronco

Reaction score
I would pull the plug you think the cylinder is bad in and check it. Then I would check all the other plugs just to be sure. Never know what can be done with just a spark plug. I would recheck all the gaps as well...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Here ya go; besides firing order, routing is aslo a biggie;

Spark Plug Wire Routing TSB 94-04-10 for 87-93 5.0 - engine miss, spark knock, buck/***** surge and other driveability concerns Source: by Ford via Steve83

see diagrams as well as:

"...Spark Plug Wire Routing for '87-93 5.0L

ISSUE: Engine miss, spark knock, buck/***** surge and other driveability concerns may be caused by induction crossfire. This occurs because of improperly routed spark plug wires.

ACTION: If spark plug replacement is performed, the correct firing order and spark plug wire routing is essential to prevent the possibility of induction crossfire between cylinders. Refer to the following procedures for inspection of the spark plug wire routing and firing order. Properly reroute the spark plug wires if required.

FIRING ORDER

The firing order for 1987-1993 vehicles is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. If #7 and #8, or #2 and #4 spark plug wires are routed next to each other at the separation bracket, an induction crossfire condition can occur.

The firing order for 1994 vehicles is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. On these vehicles the #1 and #3, or #5 and #6 spark plug wires must be separated to eliminate the possibility of an induction crossfire.

To eliminate the possibility of the coil wire becoming disconnected, route the coil wire under the spark plug wires at the distributor cap..."

OP
OP
Billy Toppless

Billy Toppless

Reaction score
thanks guys

but it turns out the a couple of the plug wires wherent on all the way and the clicking was the spark jumping the gap

and the huge bang that i heard was a backfire from one of the clyndiers that wasnt getting spark untill i gunned it and the full cyilder full of gas burned with a BANG lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22