1995 FORD Bronco: Good or Bad Truck???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I own a 1995 bronco, v8 5.0 , manual transmission, on the floor 4x4 shift, XLT version , 32x11.50 maxxis bighorn tires, completely stock, very well shape and taken good care.
The Bad:

- Fuel economy the worst

- Lack of torque (doesn

zach351

Reaction score
i disagree with u when u say they are not good offroad vehicles. My 1989 never fails me offroad and i allways end up pulling my freinds out that drive chevys and i go through the same stuff so that i disagree with and that the torque i have a lot of torque. u may have something wrong with ur truck give us a lil more info and well try to help u out. OH and btw WELCOME TO THE ZONE!!

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
I have to agree with the other's. I have a 95 Bronco XLT with a 351w though. It is absoulutlly the BEST off-roading capable vehicle I've ever taken off road. Never been stuck, never broke down and never hesitates to get me where I want to go. And torqe..it's got it baby! Sound's like you need to give it a once over.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Juan,

You may want to borrow a friend's expidition or F150 pickup and take it for a little spin. They are comparable, and if your truck doesn't have the torque that theirs has, then you know that it is a problem with your truck, and not the bronco as a class of vehicle.

Personally I had a problem with mine for as long as I had it and didn't know that the engine was sluggish, I thought it was due to the larger tires. After I pulled codes and found a problem or two to fix, I am now quite happy with the truck.

Crude dude

Reaction score
Broncojoe is right. I had a 96 that was a 4x4 machine! It was stock with a 351 and an auto trans. It was nimble on and off road. Gas mileage was not all that great but from what ive read, 351s usually arent. Now a 302 is supposed to be a bunch better on mileage and maybe only a little less power. Like Broncojoe suggested , you should have a major tuneup done and I bet that will fix the power and mileage problems. Keep it, its a great vehicle ....other than the ttb.

OP
OP
J

JUAN C

Reaction score
hey guys thank you all for read my article, well first to answer some questions, I would say that my bronco still gives me around 11mpg which is right I guess and I haven

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Do you know how to pull DTCs Diagnostic Troubleshooting codes?

Do you have a fuel pressure guage so that you can check your fuel pressure?

muddinlate86

Reaction score
you dont mudd in 4 low in the first plce only in 4 hi unless your pulling someone out or are realy stuck and have some hope of crawling out.its to much stress on your moter and if you do it alot you could lose an oil pump or worse!

Iamnottelling

Reaction score
The Bad:

- Fuel economy the worst - (I do have to agree that it is poor but equal to vehicles of its size)

- Lack of torque (doesn

broncogurl86

BroncoGurl
Reaction score
My bronco is not quite as new as that i have an 86 but other than that they are pretty similiar. Mines has 5.0 (302) 4x4 on the floor and manual transmisson and i get bout 13 miles to the gallon or better couldnt really tell you accurate since gas gauge didnt work at the time but let me tell ya mine had lots of torque. I was able to start right off on a steep hill and still be able to squeel tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd so i think that you might have something going on and everything major in mine is original (motor, tranny, transfer case). Good Luck and hope you get things figured out!!!!!

WPW Bronco

Reaction score
First Off, Welcome to the club my man!

Second Off, Here's my twin pennies for ya!

I own a '92 XLT with a 351W and an automatic. And I have to say, I would not, will not, won't thought about getting rid of it. It was love at first drive and will reign eternal! Gas prices be damned, I'll walk if worse comes to worst.

Your torque issue may be from some engine issue as stated above, it's not going to be what you'd feel from a Windsor, a few relatively quick fixes include some kind of HEI, better than Motorcraft plugs (love Ford but they ****) like a Bosch or Autolite platinum multipoint or E3 plugs, upgrading to a K&N Gen II filter, and better exhaust components (headers, Hi-Flow Cat, Turbo Muffler).

As for tow hooks, the front is tricky because of the crumple zone in the front frame. My suggestion would be a good aftermarket bumper with built in hooks.

Other than that, I don't have much to say right now, I have a 1 1/2" thick T-Bone waiting on me.

Hope this helps out!

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
Yeah, all you need to do is to get your engine running properly.Here is a comparison of the two engines that WPW Bronco mentioned below.

a '92 5.8 has 200 hp and 300 ft/lb of torque @ 2800 RPM

a '95 5.0 has 205 hp and 275 ft/lb of torque @ 3000 RPM

http://www3.telus.net/cbradley/Engine_Specifications.html

Assuming the above information is accurate, and considering that the torque difference is less than 10% its pretty obvious to me that you do not need any modification such as headders, you just need to fix what you already have.
Joe, Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a 5.8 have more horse than a 5.0?

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if you may have clutch wear, sounds to me if it cuts off from take off in low that the clutch may need to be replaced, this would account for poor gas milage as well! The clutch can be slipping and you just don't notice it! Thats if yours is a manual? B)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno