BORG WARNER 1356

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87eddiebronco

Reaction score
I HAVE AN 87 EDDIE BAUER BRONCO. TRANSFER CASE JUST STARTED ACTING WEIRD. THE REAR END SEEMS TO BE IN LOW BUT THE FRONT WHEELS ARE NOT BEING POWERED. DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANYONE? THANKS FOR THE HELP.

ALEX

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Yeah thats familiar . There is one flaw in the 1356 case that happens to all of them sooner or latter . The oil line that runs from the pickup to the pump is a sort of rubber that gets hard and cracks this then starves the oil pump which is kept from spinning around on the main shaft by a small tin plate that rest against a groove in the case . Once the pump locks up it twists that little plate into a ball and comences to shattering the 4 low shift fork at this time it will usually either drop into 4 low at whatever speed your traveling or it slips into neutral and the vehicle stops moving . The last one to do this to me I was just hitting 50 MPH and it went into 4 low and had my complete and undivided attention . They are repairable and I would recomend that if you are mechanically inclined that you do it yourself just for the experience . I was quoted $500 just to take it apart and tell me what was wrong with it and around $1000 to fix it thats when I decided to do it myself . Only special tools you need are a big set of snap ring pliers . Their all ball bearing construction and fairly straight forward . If you want to do it yourself Ill give you a number for riverside gear he has all the parts to repair them and any other T case Ive ever called him about . To completely go through that last one cost me around $350 with a chain , The newer 4 lo fork is all plastic as well where the one that is probably in it is aluminum with plastic pads where it runs against the shift hub . I started a thread with alot of pics and I was doing the last one but dont think I finished it but there is alot of pictures there . Any questions feel free to ask :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP

87eddiebronco

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I took it to a shop and they told me that the hubs had to be replaced also. What do you think about converting the automatic locking hubs to maual. The shop told me that it made more sense to do this cause they are less likely to break again. I found a used t case for $100 bucks off a guy that said he blew his engine on his truck and took it off with the intention of using the t case on another truck but never got around to it. Well, I am going to put it on the bronco and see about rebuilding the broken one and selling it or keeping it just in case the other one breaks. How long did it take you for just the rebuild. I want to become more familiar with broncos. I love my 87 and just bought a 92'. I want to lift the 87. I have hedman headers and flowmaster exhaust on the 87, and running 33'' Goodyear MTR's. What else can I do to get a little more power out of the truck for some help to turn those tires? I had the smog pump removed also. the headers and exhaust made a big differance with power. And what lift would you recommend for someone that mainly wanted the look and doesnt really care about rock crawling and articulation? I usually just drive it in mud. Again thanks for all the info. Talk to you soon

ALEX

BLADE262US

Reaction score
$100 is good for a used case but if its good Id still split it before instaling and replace that oil pickup hose just so it doesnt happen to you again . If your just going for the look then you dont need extended arms and all that . Theres a few companies that make good ones rough country is cheaper , Procomp , superlift any of them will work you just need the drop brackest for the front a pitman arm and blocks for the back would be the cheapest not th ebest but cheapest . $wheel parts wholesalers is a good place to get a price for a lift shipped to you . Always have the best prices call desert rat as well they will match eachothers prices . Took me about a week to rebuild the case becasue I had to wait for a part otherwise with everything there I could do it in a couple hours . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar