Trans shiftin late and acting weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88BroncoBlack

Reaction score
Hey guys I decided to change my trans pan gasket the other day because it was leaking, the kit comes with the gasket and filter, i changed the filter and gasket then refilled the trans, and it would shift manually by the column but if i was in drive it would just wind up and not shift out of first, i took everything back aprt again to make sure all the gaskets seated and such, then refilled again, no its a little better it will shift but at very high rpm, like if you are normally drivin down the road and it would kick down if you were at like 3000 now it wont drop down til like 4200 any ideas

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Sorry man, this is out of my league, but you may want to post specifically which trans you have so that when someone reads your thread who can help, they will be able to be more specific in their response.

joe

OP
OP
88BroncoBlack

88BroncoBlack

Reaction score
how can i tell what trans i have, i have to idea, i think its one of the C trans, because the auto store said thats what they think i have an the filter was the exact same

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
how can i tell what trans i have, i have to idea, i think its one of the C trans, because the auto store said thats what they think i have an the filter was the exact same
It would be a C6 a three speed, or a AOD 4 speed overdrive or E4OD a four speed overdrive with a selectable OD on/off switch on the dash.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
It would be a C6 a three speed, or a AOD 4 speed overdrive or E4OD a four speed overdrive with a selectable OD on/off switch on the dash.
How many quarts of fluid did you use?

Here is info from another forum on how to refill the trans.

Fill with 6 to 8 quarts, start the engine, shift through all the gears, shut engine down. Fill another 2 qts., let heat up, then to fill to final level.

Level should be between the cross hatch marks when hot at idle.

OP
OP
88BroncoBlack

88BroncoBlack

Reaction score
oh one other thing, my shifter has always been slightly off in the dash where it say P R N D 2 1, how do i get that lined up correctly, the guy i bought the truck from sai it has been like that since he had someone replace the steering column

coolio2281

Reaction score
if u mean the little needle is off a little on the dash telling u what gear u are in, if iam correct on my 93 bronco take your steering wheel upper and lower cover off and to the right, right underneath your gear selector lever there should be a little dial with a wire running though it and under the column and into the intstrument panel, u can just twist that dial clockwise or counterclockwise to adjust the needle

shift1313

Reaction score
so how many qts of fluid did you use? Did you check the level warm after running through the gears like joe said? What kind of fluid did you use? It sounds like the clutches are slipping. If it is a C6 tranny you should have used type CJ fluid. Its specifically made for C6 tranny.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke