Oil leak is driving my nuts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90FordBronco

Reaction score
I bought the Bronco knowing it had several leaks. I pulled the motor and replaced just about every gasket: oil pan, timing cover, rear main, valve cover, intake, exhaust and head gaskets. I still have a leak (a bad leak) coming from the drivers side of the motor. The passenger side is bone dry and ill degrease and clean the drivers side drive it 10 mins down the road and its soaked, all the way to the front drive shaft. The front of the motor is clean and dry and from what I can feel the back of the motor is dry. We did see that the dipstick tube wasn't inserted all the way so we fixed that but could oil still be getting passed that? Could it be that the block is cracked? Im running outta ideas. I'd hate to have to pull it again.

If I have to pull it again..........anyone in Northeast GA got a decent 302 they wanna get rid of cheap?? :-"

Thanks.

OP
OP

90FordBronco

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I looked at my dipstick tube and saw that it wasn't seated all the way in the block. But when I went to remove it it slide out with ease. I would have thought that it would have been kinda stuck since there is no gasket or o-ring on it to keep a seal. Well i pulled it out and cleaned it up and gooped up the ****** area where it meets with the block with RTV since it seems to just wiggle around in the block. I'm going to let the RTV sit over night to cure up and add oil and try again tomorrow. If that fixes it then i'll try to locate a new dipstick tube and hope that it'll fit in the block nice and tight.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
That's very similar to the problem I had with my 84 Bronco. The previous owner had a garage replace the motor with a 1985 longblock (NAPA kit) that originally had the dipstick coming out of the block. I had to replace the original, rusty oil pan since it was leaking, too, and the new oil pan has the dipstick in it. The garage overlooked plugging the block dipstick hole, and oil was pouring out of it. Most sb and lb kits come with a plug for that hole, guess the garage forgot it (or the mechanic was too drunk-rant).If you have replaced the oil pan on your Bronco, check that it doesn't have a hole for the dipstick. I solved the problem by inserting a 5/16 bolt into the hole, wuth red Loctite to secure it. I know on the oil pan location, the tube mount has some small rivets to hold it. But for the engine block location, i think the tube just fits in there tightly. So, if you still have problems with the block location leaking, one solution would be to plug the hole and switch to an oil pan with the tube in it. JSM84

OP
OP

90FordBronco

Reaction score
Tracked down the leak. Replaced the dipstick tube and that didn't help, so i start tearing the drivers side of motor apart. I remove the exhaust manifold to make sure I don't have any visible cracks and feel up under the valve cover and see that part of the gasket slipped inside the cover. I pull the valve cover and the gasket above the #6 and 7 cylinder is oiled up and not sealing. I slip it into place and run a bead of RTV and bolt it all back together. VIOLA! No more oil leak.

Now I have to figure out why after it warms up my oil pressure wants to drop but motor doesn't make any odd noise. (I saw another thread about it) and hoping that there isn't anything to major with the tranny/rear-end. Seems to not drop into passing gear when climbing a hill, or downshifts too soon. And seems alil herky-jerky when going down the road.

Thanks for the leads.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Tracked down the leak. Replaced the dipstick tube and that didn't help, so i start tearing the drivers side of motor apart. I remove the exhaust manifold to make sure I don't have any visible cracks and feel up under the valve cover and see that part of the gasket slipped inside the cover. I pull the valve cover and the gasket above the #6 and 7 cylinder is oiled up and not sealing. I slip it into place and run a bead of RTV and bolt it all back together. VIOLA! No more oil leak.
Now I have to figure out why after it warms up my oil pressure wants to drop but motor doesn't make any odd noise. (I saw another thread about it) and hoping that there isn't anything to major with the tranny/rear-end. Seems to not drop into passing gear when climbing a hill, or downshifts too soon. And seems alil herky-jerky when going down the road.

Thanks for the leads.
Yahoo!!! I love it when a plan comes together :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Glad you fixed your leak.

Regarding the shifting issues. I also have a '90 bronco. I am hoping that you also have the E4OD trans. IF you do have a E4OD you have a Overdrive switch on your dashboard.

Pull Diagnostic codes...

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/files/self_test.pdf

and then read through this thread.

I had the SAME symptoms, and just fixed it yesterday!

The E4OD is computer controlled and there are a number of sensors that are invovled in controlling shift points. You have to make sure that they are all functioning properly.

Please see... http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13716

Good luck,

let us know how you make out.

joe

OP
OP

90FordBronco

Reaction score
So if I have just the AOD....i guess pull the codes and see whats going on. I see no OD switch anywhere.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
So if I have just the AOD....i guess pull the codes and see whats going on. I see no OD switch anywhere.
Hmmm my Haynes manual says that the E4OD supplemented the AOD in 1988.

My switch is to the right of the steering wheel, on the lower dash panel.

Definitely pull codes. You want her running as well as possible.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Hmmm my Haynes manual says that the E4OD supplemented the AOD in 1988.My switch is to the right of the steering wheel, on the lower dash panel.

Definitely pull codes. You want her running as well as possible.
I just went out to look at the sticker on my door panel, and found that the Trans Type was "E"

IF you get that letter code JSM or others will be able to tell you which trans you have.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke